Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Is it worth $10 and on GFWL. Anyone want to explain to me how that site works, is it safe to assume the same rules apply as for D2D?
Old November 24, 2010, 06:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC and CoP (bundled together) on sale for 10.21 CAD on Impulse today ImpulseDriven : Age Gate

What do you mean by same rules as D2D? When I bought AoE from gamesforwindows.com I used my GFWL account (since I already had one) and bought it (only accepts credit cards IIRC no paypal, etc). You then can download from the site or use the Windows Marketplace program and access it through there.
Old November 24, 2010, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Is it worth $10 and on GFWL. Anyone want to explain to me how that site works, is it safe to assume the same rules apply as for D2D?
Is it worth $10, ya I guess $10 is what it's worth. Would I buy it from GFW, no. I would probably buy it from any other service other than GFW, however that won't negate the necessity of having to install and go through GFWL to play the game. :\

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 24, 2010, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

Why the hate for GFW, it is no different than any other digital download service.
Old November 24, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The hate is for GFW in general as it is a complete POS that needs to die. THQ has realized this and hopefully other publishers will too. I'm all for competition in the digital distribution cosmos, but GFW is a pointless and obtrusive DRM masquerading as a service.

The amount of grief GFW has given me vs the amount of grief other services have given me is like <90% vs >10%. I have dozens of Steam games and Steam rarely gives me some kind of game time killing grief. I can't even remember one at this time actually. But the handful of GFW games I own have almost all given me some kind of game time killing grief due to GFW (Batman, DoW2, Bioshock 2, GoW). I only have a few D2D games and so far that's been solid too. And lots of people seem to like Impulse as well but I can't comment at this time. GOG is another fantastic service miles ahead with no DRM at all.

JMHO, everyone is free to choose whatever they want. I just don't suggest services that interfere with my game time vs the ones that don't.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 24, 2010, 10:49 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
I bought my first game on GFWL this month, and it was a royal pain to install. First I had to open a new MSN account in canada to allow it to use my credit card, which meant it couldn't add that game to my other GFWL gamer card which happens to be tied to a US hotmail address (which they CANNOT change).

After buying the game, I find out they charge tax on the stated USD price once it's converted to CDN. (something Steam never does).

Then it needed to access my C drive even after I set it to install to a different partition, I finally got around it by moving space around my partitions.
Old November 24, 2010, 11:43 AM
Allstar

GFWL is a total steaming POS. I went through all the troubles with account creation mentioned above by myself and others, and won't even let me install age of empires 3. When I ask it to download the game, it keeps racking up memory usage to about 1.7 gigs and then crashes. This is when I've only downloaded like 200mb of the game. It then tries to send an error report to MS and the error reporting tool hangs...

AVOID
KILL IT WITH FIRE
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old November 24, 2010, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

I know this is not helpful, but it works perfectly fine for me. Maybe it is because I used my hotmail account as my GFWL account. AoE3 downloaded and installed without a hitch.

Anyways, Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition is on sale for 24.97 on Impulse ImpulseDriven : Age Gate .

And steam is having a sale with new stuff each day until the 29th Welcome to Steam. Some highlights are Borderlands for 9.99, Prototype for 14.99 and Shank for 10.04. Also there are some big game packs (multiple copies of the same game). Finally every day 30 people will win the top 5 items in their wishlist so don't forget to add stuff.
Old November 25, 2010, 09:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Just pre-ordered Super Meat Boy for $10. I've had my eye on this game for a while, looks awesome. Lots of good platforming games have come out recently.
Old November 25, 2010, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Today I am eyeballing Kane & Lynch 2 for $5. The demo was good for me. A few hours of lens flares and ugly old dudes shootin up Shanghai seems worthy of $5 to me.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE