Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2010, 08:49 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Since I'm bored and have no power, let me elaborate.

- the games been in development since before I owned a PC, They've thrown away all their work how many times to switch engines...
- take a look at Gearboxes track record, with Halo for the PC as a BIG exclamation point, Bungie had that game running sweet on a P2 450 and a TnT2 when they first showed it off, the eventual PC port ran like crap on systems significantly more powerful than an Xbox
- console = trying to cash in = probably gonna be rated Teen, which nulifies everything that made Duke, Duke
-longest running vapourware on the planet.
Old September 4, 2010, 08:59 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
Since I'm bored and have no power, let me elaborate.

- the games been in development since before I owned a PC, They've thrown away all their work how many times to switch engines...
- take a look at Gearboxes track record, with Halo for the PC as a BIG exclamation point, Bungie had that game running sweet on a P2 450 and a TnT2 when they first showed it off, the eventual PC port ran like crap on systems significantly more powerful than an Xbox
- console = trying to cash in = probably gonna be rated Teen, which nulifies everything that made Duke, Duke
You do know there are LOTS of violent games that aren't rated teen on consoles?
And you must also understand that if they want to make money (which is obvious) they have to go with the biggest market. PC Halo is old times. FPS ports aren't that bad anymore on PCs. Your conclusions are too way too hasty.

Old September 4, 2010, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Actually, at the MacWorld NewYork keynote in 1999 Bungie(at that time Jason Jones said it was not shown before then) had it running on a Mac(using OpenGL). I seem to recall(though I might be wrong) that a couple years later when it made it back to Macs, to run it required a Mac more powerful than even the final PC port required of a PC.
Old September 4, 2010, 09:17 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
- take a look at Gearboxes track record
Gearbox has a pretty good track record. I personally don't like Halo, but that was a port so performance issues aside that wasn't their fault. Their Half-Life expansions were really good, the Brothers in Arms series from what I've heard was very good, and Borderlands is just awesome.
Old September 4, 2010, 10:08 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

If I'm wrong you can all say I was wrong, but I certianly don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about what Duke is going to turn into. Just look at what has happend to other PC franchises that have gone console...
Old September 4, 2010, 10:10 AM
Banned
F@H

the one thing from the official in game video i didnt like was the voice of the king,but still.
Old September 4, 2010, 10:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You can add me as somebody who's not overly excited about this release. It was a great game when initially released, but I have to question what they could do with the genre to justify the hype other than just the name brand.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 4, 2010, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

Why does he look like he's greased up? He's all shiny.
Old September 4, 2010, 10:34 AM
Allstar

I personnally think this game will deserve a big "Meh". Games must be innovative, not simply built from hype or publicity from it's predecessor games.

Old September 4, 2010, 10:55 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
the one thing from the official in game video i didnt like was the voice of the king,but still.
The voice acting is done by the same guy who has always voiced Duke.