Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2010, 11:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Bah, its not unlocking, still just telling to to preload...
Old September 22, 2010, 04:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Well, I've played it a bit and here are my first impressions (impressions flavored by using a keyboard and most driving aids)

awesome. its hard as hell, may have something to do with the fact I'm having to temporarily use a keyboard, and that I really dont know the tracks all that well, watching is very different than actually driving them, but the easy and medium ai are too easy, I started off in lotus and I could have won the first race (not my first race I mucked around in a mclaren for a while just to get my head around the game). hard is decent but you are generally going to want to turn the ai up to expert pretty soon I think (for those who dont know Lotus are one of the bottom 3 teams, so they should really be not much higher than 18th). I cant imagine how hard it is going to be once I start turning off the assists, its hard enough just getting the braking and turn in points right. But passing feels like an achievement when you do it right

cons of this game are as follows
-windows live
-damage (I'm all for making the cars tuffer than they are in real life but as a friend of mine put it, you still want to be able to watch the driver box skid down the road after loosing all wheels and wings. Its disapointing that the nose cone always stays intact and the damage required
sometimes seems excessive almost
-over sensitive corner cuting technology 0 it works, it works well, but with a keyboard I dont have the precision required to hit every apex flawlessly so when I get penialised for going a little bit over a corner rather than around it (most of the time I end up losing time anyways). But it does work and it is a good thing in the end, once I get my wheel I wont be so annoyed by it I don tthink.
ah, and what ever you do turn off the braking assist, its pure rubbish is a huge hinderance and is just annoying. And while we are speaking of assists, they have actually added in the noise for traction control which I think is a nice touch,

all for now, will have more later, I do highly recommend this if you are racing fan, f1 fan, or fan of things that go fast, I think this is really well done (with the exception of one pit lane bug, grrrr.)
Old September 22, 2010, 06:12 AM
Allstar

Ive been playing on a g27 With Seat set-up, WOW.

0 aSSits on, Is Fun.

The AI is too easy, So ill be cracking it up.

DONT CUT CORNERS... You'll lose laps FAST.

Graphics, I hope they get better with DX11, I want what i say in all the youtube Vids

I would like to be able to tweek the car more.

Im also getting graphic stutter, I will try the old faithfull drivers
Old September 22, 2010, 07:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've anxiously been awaiting this game too, however I'm not a big fan of Steam downloads and won't spend my money until the box hits stores. Only problem is, there doesn't seem to be any indication of when the PC box will be available unless I missed it somewhere, so far all I can find is this blurp from formula1-game.com.

"F1 2010 is now shipping to retail stores in North America and will release across mainland Europe and PAL territories on Thursday 23rd September with a UK street date on Friday 24th September for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system and PC Games for Windows®; the PC edition is also available as a digital download from multiple online services."

This youtube vid is pretty cool YouTube - F1 2010 PC Test

Edit: I've looked everywhere (FS, BB, GS etc.) and I can't find a single source showing the PC disk even being avaliable, they all show Xbox and PS3 but no PC!..wtf!

Last edited by kruzn4evr; September 22, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old September 22, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So according to the F1 2010 forums, it has been confirmed that the only way to get the game for PC is download!...NO PC hardcopy is being shipped for North America...period!!....(at least not that can be confirmed at this time), when I talked to FS, BB and EB they checked and did not show any PC copies ordered or in the systems. If this is indeed the case I guess I'll be passing on this game. I personally refuse to pay $40 for a 12GB DL'ed copy through Steam simply because of the headaches that come with DL'ed games, bad files, missing files, bad code etc. I've tried Steam a few times and have never had a game that didn't have "issues". To me, it's just not worth the headaches, time or money (just my opinion). If I can't get a proper packaged disc I'll just have to forget F1 2010.

Old September 22, 2010, 01:12 PM
Allstar

Ive been on steam at least 6 years now.... NOT 1 Issue, EVER.

All 100+ games i own Still work when i Download them, Can you say that about old disc you find, Then have to Patch them Ect ect...
Old September 22, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well then I guess I along with at least a dozen other people I know must be doing something wrong, which is entirely possible, but yes, I'll take my old disc's anytime, I've rarely had any "issues" even with 6-7yr old disc's. Anyhow, to each his own, I think I'll just pass on this one unless hardcopy becomes available.

Old September 22, 2010, 02:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's an 8 GB download. And while I used to share your opinion kruzn, I haven't bought a hard copy of a PC game in over a year and a half.

Back on topic, I played a bit last night. I'm a little disappointed in the graphics, TBH, but I've been waiting years to drive an F1 car. I had a lot of fun last night, and look forward to wearing out my Momo wheel. Hopefully Codemasters will patch in DX11 support. I just want to know whose idea it was to put the radio antenna right in front of the cockpit on F1 cars? No wonder there's an achievement just for driving a whole race in cockpit view.
Old September 22, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

yeah, I was confused when not one store was selling the f1 game but owell. Steam is in every regard better than a retail version, no key, no disk, well there is a key for this, damn you windows live, but for managing games I found steam has no peer.
Old September 22, 2010, 06:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'll be downloading this on steam when I get my power back. I'm excited as hell. Been a while since I got into a good racer.