Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5, 2010, 08:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Free to play, as in you don't even have to purchase the original game (like Guildwars)? What's their business model then? Do they have a ton of DLC that's really required for gameplay?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 5, 2010, 08:31 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Free to play, as in you don't even have to purchase the original game (like Guildwars)? What's their business model then? Do they have a ton of DLC that's really required for gameplay?
It does look like you get extra functionality if you purchase the game:
LOTRO Free to Play Plan Comparison

I've never played the game so I'm not sure what's up. Perhaps a marketing tool to get people to try it and if they like it they will want the extra features and purchase the product. In WoW they got big money from the monthly subscriptions though and without that big monthly money I don't see what LOTRO would be after here.
Old September 5, 2010, 08:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the link. Yeah it looks like they're still running a monthly fee model (VIP) with the free to play being a teaser to get you interested. If the majority of the goodies can be purchased as a one-of outlay of cash I might be interested. If, on the other hand, getting decent play out of the game requires a monthly sub... I wouldn't be interested at all.

edit: Having a quick look at the list, the thing that most concerns me is the cap on gold. Not having played the game I'm a little concerned about that, but I'm not sure how much of a factor gold is in the game, and/or if "purchasing" the removal of the cap is a permanent thing, or if it has to be re-purchased every month.

Mostly just questions about the game play for free, but I'll probably give it a quick try once the dust has settled. (Gonna be busy for a few days after the 7'th with DAO DLC anywise.... ;) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; September 5, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old September 5, 2010, 01:33 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I had a brief look around the forums and it seems similar to WoW but the people seem to have a more mature attitude from first impressions.

It's free to try it out so I'll give it a look see. Perhaps in a couple weeks or so we will have a better idea about setting up a HWC guild as well once a few of us have tested the waters.
Old September 5, 2010, 05:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If its like Turbine's other Free to play, dungeons and dragons online. free to play, certain areas are free to play, you can buy access to other areas, or dungeons, as well as gear and potions and other items that you can get in game, but it makes your life easier. If you pay for the month like a normal mmo, you get all areas unlocked for that month, as well as they usually give you a set amount of in game credits to buy stuff for yourself.

Old September 7, 2010, 08:51 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Can one of the people who have played the game suggest a server we should be selecting?

If a number of people from HWC do decide to play and form a guild we might as well select a server from the git-go.
Old September 7, 2010, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

"free to play" is a gimmick similar to a limited trail version. The company would be pushing daisies if it were truly free. Its a nice feature to have for allowing a person the opportunity to get a feel for the game at no cost, but its also pretty shady to imply that the game costs nothing to play. This is borderline false advertising, the only thing stopping the lawsuits is that its got no time limit.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old September 12, 2010, 07:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

So is anyone else playing the F2P?

I started this week and I have a level 9 Champion on the new Riddermark server.
I like the game so far and am wondering what others are thinking.
Some of the quests are rather silly (deliver pies/deliver eggs lol) but I guess there is more to saving Middle Earth than just hacking up goblins
Using the crippled free version is a bit of a pain but nothing serious at all thus far in my experience.

Where can you buy the game/expansions/time cards in Canada? I can only find them on EBgames/Gamestop in the U.S. but not on the Canadian site. I called the 2 EBgames stores closest to me and both said they don't carry them. With all the problems they are having with the Turbine store I'm not about to give them a CC number and it also seems it is much more expensive to buy from them.
Old September 12, 2010, 07:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm very confused where you sign up, because i apparently i signed up like three times and my account still doesnt work.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old September 12, 2010, 08:44 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar_ell View Post
I'm very confused where you sign up, because i apparently i signed up like three times and my account still doesnt work.
Did you fill out this info on the right side where it says "Play Free Now" ?

The Lord of the Rings Online - Play for Free!