Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2010, 07:44 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Seriously, what distinguishes the PC from consoles other than graphics? A mouse and keyboard? And let me tell you, you'll be wishing for a good old console controller when you hop into a car in Mafia II....

My point is that the PC needs things like 3D Vision, multi monitor gaming, etc to keep some attention focused on it.
Old August 24, 2010, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Nope. The current monitor sizes are 1680x1050 and 1920x1080.
Ah, I just mentioning it because you had screen res's of 1600:900 and 1920:1080 for 3D whereas at the start you use 1680:1050 and 1920:1200.
Old August 24, 2010, 09:19 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Seriously, what distinguishes the PC from consoles other than graphics? A mouse and keyboard? And let me tell you, you'll be wishing for a good old console controller when you hop into a car in Mafia II....
This is my major beef, going to go into more detail elsewhere, but many people would agree, this is definitely a "controller styled game" right?

Well then what idiots decided, "Hey let's offer 'controller customization' as an option in the menu, but in actual fact lets only give them TWO sets, and the difference between those two is that we will ONLY switch the reload and crouch buttons with each other?"

Let's not bother to allow for controller mapping or even offer Southpaw/Legacy control settings (switching analog duties) - This has got to be the most basic of controller customizations since like... Halo 1.

Like honestly, It just really annoys me that switching two button functions is what 2k considers controller customization. Why even waste my time; take the entire "controller customization" out of the game so that is isn't as apparent you rushed this out to market.

I realize 2K may be a bit of a budget studio, but would it have hurt to bother to get your developers to include a few more adjustments. I highly doubt that swapping reload and crouch make as much of an impact on gameplay as those who find it difficult to properly aim/adjust camera with their right hand.

What annoys me is this is the same sh1t they pulled with Bioshock (which they patched due to complaints) - do we really have to go through this all again?

Last edited by FiXT; August 24, 2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old August 24, 2010, 10:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yawn. "Hey look, it's GTA IV with 'mafia' members and a different story line". These games drive me nuts - all 'feel' the same with their layouts and such.. it seems to have better graphics, but that's not enough to make me buy it - hell, they promote all the new technology with 3D vision, and still chose to use DX9.. boo.

I'll go back to killin zombies in L4D2. 'specially the clown zombies. I hate clowns.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old August 24, 2010, 12:19 PM
Trial Member

This article did me finally registering in this forums to comment. Great review, as always. I almost felt like buying 2xGTX460 1024MB (what an amazing card!), 3 22" 3D-capable monitors and a pair of 3DVision glasses. Fortunately my laziness (ok, maybe it was my common sense, just wanted to point I'm lazy somehow, I don't know why) stopped me from that sa-credit-fice. I think my 8800 GTS is going to become a physx card when I update my system, how well do you think it'll perform?

Once again, thank you very much for all your nice reviews. I always recommend you in my modest and very young blog (you can find it in my profile, I don't wanna be a spammer. It's in spanish). I even made a new post only about some of your articles.

See you.
Old August 24, 2010, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the compliments. :)
Old August 24, 2010, 02:05 PM
Top Prospect

Honestly, I was only marginally impressed with the physx display. Aside from debris and a slightly noticeable change in the physics of cloths, I didn't notice anything remarkable. I haven't witnessed 3d vision, so I can't comment. However, unless you're going that route already, I would not purchase a Nvidia product simply for Physx. It is, however, a nice icing on the cake.
Old August 24, 2010, 09:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I wasn't planning on buying this game...downloading now. Thxs SKY.

Old August 24, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
I wasn't planning on buying this game...downloading now.
Hmmm... I think I see what you did there.
Old August 25, 2010, 07:40 AM

Guys, just wanted to make you aware of a promotion where you can get Mafia II for free with the purchase of select NVIDIA cards:

Get a FREE full copy of Mafia II!