Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2007, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Activision + Vivendi

I know it's pretty widely known that activision and vivendi have merged- they'll now be called activision blizzard and they'll likely turn into another EA. In fact - I wouldn't be surprised if we see EA turn around and eat UBISOFT so as not to be outdone. Their (ACTI-BLIZZ) combined assest are about 19 BILLION, so yeah- they're big.

Anyway, those who invested in activision recently are very happy about all this as their stock surged by a whopping 13% in one day today- droool!
Old December 3, 2007, 08:03 PM
MVP
F@H

yeah activision shares were purchased at a 30% premium according to the press release last night, though only 24% according to the news today. Either way, it's always good to be bought out haha.

off the main topic - what do you mean by "they'll likely turn into another EA"?

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old December 3, 2007, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Masses of crap for every good game, and the frequent buyout of great little studios afterwhcih they introduce the people that made these studios great to unreasonable deadlines and mediochrity. Instead of developing game for multiplatform, they just build them for 360 or whoever is winning, and port them out to the others- and I'm sick of seeing tehir advertising everywhere- Rehashing the exact same sports games every year instead of just producing updates with new rosters, etc etc. monopolies just aren't good for anyone I guess.
Old December 3, 2007, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh man don't get me going on sports game and how they haven't changed in the longest time and only have new rosters. The only thing that is different is a slight increase in graphics. Easy way to make a lot of money because a lot of people buy into the crap. I don't think people know they can change the rosters them selves! Plus most people just add themselves with maxed out specs anyways lol.

Well I hope this will make both companies games better. I am really looking forward to Empire: Total War.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 5, 2007, 09:16 AM
Top Prospect

This merge seems more like Blizzard acquiring Activision's share, rather than a true collaboration...

According to Q&A from Blizzard website, nothing changes for both company except their size of the assets and the flow of the quick assets (cash). I doubt they will turn into another EA though.
Old December 5, 2007, 11:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

An EA merger with Ubisoft seems unlikely. EA already has talent for most game genres and purchasing Ubisoft Entertainment would call for some incredibly serious cash; Ubisoft has on their side super-successful game franchises from the Tom Clancy universe, Prince of Persia series, and the Assassin's Creed and its sequel(s).

The only reason I can see EA having for buying Ubisoft is to get back the gorgeous Jade Raymond back. *drool*