Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2010, 11:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default PS3 Jailbroken, No Modding Needed

No telling how legit this is yet but it is interesting nonetheless. For $150 (Yes 150!) you can buy a USB dongle that will let you play backed up/copied games without the disc and use homebrew apps.

Would I pay this kind of cash out for such convenience ... hell no. Discussion says this is actually a diagnostic tool leaked out that puts the PS3 into debug mode. Whatever the case Sony will be quick to try and lock this thing out. And for $150 I am not tempting a ban hammer (aka modded 360s) or a short lived convenience.

The PS3 jailbroken? USB hack allows homebrew, copied games

YouTube - Worlds second test of ps3 modchip, for all the Youtube plebs

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old August 19, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If that really is legit, I'll wait until there is a guide out to show me how to make my own :)
Old August 19, 2010, 12:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I suspect Sony will have a fix for this asap. (unless there is some aspect of this hack that would require Sony to break all its debugging tools, but I doubt this).
Fold for team #54196
Old August 19, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well the thing is it would need to be put out in an update and you don't have to update your PS3 if you don't want to. So you can still play all the backups you won't so long as you don't update. But then you can't play online :(
Old August 19, 2010, 12:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Well the thing is it would need to be put out in an update and you don't have to update your PS3 if you don't want to. So you can still play all the backups you won't so long as you don't update.
Unless they make certain updates required for newer games (like PSP). But modders could probably find a way around that too (also like PSP).
Old August 19, 2010, 01:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

one day we'll all have to put in disc keys in order to play.. just like how EA is slowly switching to, just like what blizzard has done with SC2.. and thus will be the end of buying used games... (unless they re-issue numbers or force people to pay when they run the game)
Old August 19, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well with this new always on Internet DRM, Activisions pay to play CoD ramblings and the likes of SC2 etc... etc... I suspect that the whole industry will move that way in someway or another. We will just be licensing content from publishers & distributors at that point. You won't own anything, juts pay to have the privilege to play it. If games went the way of cable TV where I pay a montly fee and can play pretrty much anything I want as much as I want. I suppose I wouldn't be too upset about it, as long as it was reasonable.

Downsides might be cost & selection I suppose. Well not too mention bandwidth caps, lag etc... but I am assuming those technical issues would be resolved for a model like this too work.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old August 19, 2010, 01:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Realistically, all you've ever owned was a floppy/CD/DVD, a box and/or manual, and a license to use the program on it. Ever taken the time to read a license agreement? I did once and my head was spinning.
Old August 19, 2010, 02:00 PM
Banned
F@H

150 bucks for a 25cent cable? no thank you.

even if it was legal from sony themselves.

interesting nonetheless.
Old August 19, 2010, 02:11 PM
Top Prospect

Looks real but would I pay for it no. Sony will more then likely fix the issue and then your $150 PS Jailbreak usb flash drive is worth about $10 and you may end up getting banned from online play. Just checked the website the price seems to be going up it is now $170.