Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2012, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
What, people still play this?

I moved on. I might come back in 6 months, if they figure out how to make it fun.
Tell me about it. I actually installed BF3 yesterday. I haven't played Diablo in weeks. I doubt I will ever play it again. STARCRAFTA TWOOOOOOOO(korean commentator voice) all the way! Thank god blizzard is still good for something these days. I hope to god TITAN will be hardcore like UO, DFO, or MO.... but I highly doubt it.
Old July 6, 2012, 11:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I got my $60 worth out of it. I think the problem is that it's so MMO-ish people expect an end-game scenario. I beat the big boss, I'm done. I'm playing LA Noire now.
Old July 6, 2012, 11:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I got my $60 worth out of it. I think the problem is that it's so MMO-ish people expect an end-game scenario. I beat the big boss, I'm done. I'm playing LA Noire now.
I can honestly say I don't think I got my $$$ worth out of it, at all. And I don't know why I feel that way since normally this is my kind of game.

Maybe I've moved on from that style of game these days.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 6, 2012, 11:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I can honestly say I don't think I got my $$$ worth out of it, at all. And I don't know why I feel that way since normally this is my kind of game.

Maybe I've moved on from that style of game these days.

-ST
Heh... don't base any decisions on "style of game" based on DIII, unless by "style of game" you mean something you expected to be epic but barely made the "it's ok to put up on store shelves" test. ;)

It really feels like it was rushed out the door in order to test the RMAH for a later game.... Every one of the "ooohhhhh that's pretty cool" innovations (like ranged monsters using physical items for defence) we saw in trailers seem to be in one location only.... it's like those bad movies where the only good parts are all shown in the 30 second trailer and the rest bites.

OTOH..... I haven't looked recently, but I suspect I've got 150hrs + out of it so it doesn't owe me any money.... an appology for deviating so far from what made the diablo franchise so great would be nice though.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 6, 2012, 11:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I compare gameplay value like renting a movie, about $3 an hour. If I pay $60 for something, I expect at least 20 hours of game play. I put way more time than that into Diablo 3, so I'm OK. I paid $7.50 for LA Noire, and I've got 18 hours into it so far according to Steam, so it's been a great value for me. The worst one for me was Space Siege, by Gas Powered Games. I prepaid $60 for that stinker because I liked the Dungeon Siege games so much. GPG still owes me, TO THIS VERY DAY!
Old July 6, 2012, 11:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I compare gameplay value like renting a movie, about $3 an hour. If I pay $60 for something, I expect at least 20 hours of game play. I put way more time than that into Diablo 3, so I'm OK. I paid $7.50 for LA Noire, and I've got 18 hours into it so far according to Steam, so it's been a great value for me. The worst one for me was Space Siege, by Gas Powered Games. I prepaid $60 for that stinker because I liked the Dungeon Siege games so much. GPG still owes me, TO THIS VERY DAY!
I expect more gameplay from my purchases. I honestly wouldn't purchase a game unless I was pretty sure to get a minimum of 40 hours, and preferably 60 hours worth of gameplay. But then again, I mostly focus on open-ended RPG / ARPG games with mild strategy (think Civ series / original pirates / Elite) placing a close second.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 6, 2012, 11:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The fiancee and I alone got about 60 hours of gameplay on our first D3 characters and probably 20ish maybe hire on our second. Personally I find that 80+ hours spent on a 60$ rather well worth it. I just have no real drive to keep playing it now or recommending it to anyone.
Old July 6, 2012, 12:36 PM
Rookie

I have been stuck at act 1 inferno for a long time now. Just farming junk for gold. I only play D3 to kill time now. It's like Farmville/Angry Bird/Solitaire for me. Mindless clickfest.
Old July 6, 2012, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just don't have any excitement left in the game either.

MFing is terrible, the level cap is 60, skill points are assigned automatically, the item attributes are lame/boring, the game is quite difficult, the AH kills the excitement of item finding, and a whole bunch of other things.

I don't understand why Blizzard made attributes automatic. It really lets go of even more customized builds. In D2 for example, say I wanted to build a Sorc with energy shield as my meat armor, instead of putting stats into DEX for block, I would put it in INT to beef my mana pool, and I would have more items with faster hit recovery. If I wanted to have a Sorc with max block, I would invest all my points into DEX for 75% block, and find items with %better chance blocking and %faster block rate.

Same thing with a Barb. Do I want to destroy things with massive blows by increasing my STR, or actually manage to hit things with DEX with less damage. VIT is VIT, and of course when you feel like you're low on health, you'll invest the rest of those points into VIT.

Also in D2, even unique items were still expensive when they had the better stats. Perfect uniques went for high runes. Runewords were a blast, allowing other classes to have auras that diversified builds. Crybarb with teleport? Enchantress with Conviction aura? COOL!

The skill system was also very good as well. Synergies made the game sooooo much better. Sure, there were cookie cutter builds like Hammerdin, but there were also cookie cutter builds back in the v1.09 days. All sorcs and Paladins were the same. v1.10 introduced hybrid characters as well, allowing you to invest in different skills so that immune enemies could still be killed. When it came time to duel, the skills could be reset to make maximum damage from your character.

THIS is what made D2 so legendary.

D2 would still have been an amazing game if duping was not a problem and they increased the screen resolution.

Now in D3, all I really need to do is find items with +main stat and VIT, all Resistances and high damage. There we go, yay, I have my character. There is nothing fun here! Oh, I can't do enough damage or don't have enough VIT? Farm gold and buy from the AH because my finds are worthless...
Old July 6, 2012, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh... don't base any decisions on "style of game" based on DIII, unless by "style of game" you mean something you expected to be epic but barely made the "it's ok to put up on store shelves" test. ;)

It really feels like it was rushed out the door in order to test the RMAH for a later game.... Every one of the "ooohhhhh that's pretty cool" innovations (like ranged monsters using physical items for defence) we saw in trailers seem to be in one location only.... it's like those bad movies where the only good parts are all shown in the 30 second trailer and the rest bites.

OTOH..... I haven't looked recently, but I suspect I've got 150hrs + out of it so it doesn't owe me any money.... an appology for deviating so far from what made the diablo franchise so great would be nice though.
I hate those types of movies