Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18, 2012, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That's kinda what I'm wondering so maybe there is hope after all. With only an hour or so into the game, I'm not being given choices on the skills I'm getting... it's basically saying "here's what we're giving you, click on the icon to activate it". I'm hoping that changes as the game progresses.

Having a late 30s monk, I can tell you that 4 player combat on nightmare gets fairly intense. You definitely dont just run off by your own because if you hit a pack of blues/yellows you are screwed. .

The game opens up much more as you level up, choosing your passives and skill balancing for survivability as well as dps. I highly recommend you turn Elective mode on once you get up in levels a bit, but then again, I'm playing hardcore, so I'm concerned about survivability a bit more then the average joe
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 18, 2012, 06:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... good on you playing hardcore... nothing like a little bit of real terror when you start running out of health potions on a character you've got 20+ hours into.... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 18, 2012, 06:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh... good on you playing hardcore... nothing like a little bit of real terror when you start running out of health potions on a character you've got 20+ hours into.... ;)
I cant describe how enjoyable it is when you get in to a 'oh crap' moment and get out of it. I swear sometimes my heart stops.

Oh, and something most people probably dont know; There is an XP bonus for nearly dying and staying alive under 10% life for X seconds (not sure how long you have to be fighting like that) in the 'red' . My record was 2.2%
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 18, 2012, 10:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Admittedly, I didn't really play D2 all that much. That being said, even if they gave you stat points to distribute, wouldn't most people just go online and look for a 'best fit', resulting in more or less the same cookie cutter build for the various specs? Though the lack of a skill tree is a bit off putting, I think the way D3 handles it is more or less OK. I could see people having problems with that though, considering the time investment they've put into D2+LOD.

I think I am nearing the end of act 3 ~ lvl.27 DH around the 12 hour mark. I am totally soaking the game in, but it seems to just blow right by. However, I find the game is much more fun when you are playing with friends on skype/TS.

I played with a friend last night who was only interested in getting to the level cap so he can get loot. He was a lvl 9 Wiz, and seemed to have no interest in killing the mobs? He'd just try to run right past them and he was stuck at lvl 9 for...a long time. Then he asks me, "how do you level so fast?" I said, "I fight all the mobs!".

I don't see the point in trying to rush and hurry and burn through the game for the sake of loot. Of course it has it's place, but shouldn't you at least enjoy it instead of turning it into a grind fest? I mean, the real money AH isn't even up yet!
Old June 2, 2012, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The more I play D3 the more I realise how little fun it is. It grew on me at first but then fell off again once I had to play through the same content again.
Old June 2, 2012, 06:52 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

So i have been waiting for D3 for about 2 years now and now that its here i don't wanna play it during the summer as i don't wanna be stuck in the house. So is it worth the wait? am i going to enjoy it when i finally do decided to buy it. I guess what i am looking for is your opinions on the game.

Cheers!
w0z
Old June 2, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Definitely not worth missing summer for. Now that I think of it it is so short you can't miss summer unless you endlessly grind inferno.
Old June 2, 2012, 08:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you wait until the fall, they should have the bugs / server issues ironed out, and might even have some major patches under their belts to resolve gameplay complaints.

There was a great post over at NCIX which compared DII vrs WOW reward systems (pretty well know outcome for grinding money for AH purchases in WOW vice random drop/gambling of DII). It pretty well hit the nail on the head as far as my feelings go WRT the current state of the game.... I can't see being able to play without either using the auction house (I absolutely refuse), or doing endless boring runs hoping for a decent drop or two.

Since it keeps getting eaten by forum resets, I'll ask again...... who's already talked to the cow king for entrance to whimsyshire???? :)

edit: Just in case folks get the wrong idea.... I got at least 100 hrs out of the game, so even if I lay it to rest right now I consider it a reasonably good deal for $60 if not the great deal that DII LOD was.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 2, 2012, 09:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Can we get a sticky with nothing other than Bnet tags?

Old June 2, 2012, 09:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Fiancee and I have been enjoying this since saying screw you to a still buggy swtor. She never was interested in D2, however the modifications they've made have made it a game she's been enjoying to play with me. We're level 23/24 and just cleared out Act 2 (god damn Belial!)