Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Bah, debate is done I think, cant justify the midnight fight for a collectors even though it would be worth the 100$. I will have a quick look in the morning to see if there are any left over, 30 bucks more for the CE would be worth it.
There will always be extras on ebay for just slightly more then the MSRP. I think you should be able to get your hands on it. The extra money is definitely worth it. Hardcover books are expensive. let alone all the other extra goodies. I was on the fence until today but I'm totally going to shoot for the CE.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

not sure if it's already been covered, but we just finished setting up the electronic download and I'm wondering if we were supposed to get an activation code to identify the game or does it just know that it's a legit copy?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 14, 2012, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You won't get any kind of activation code for the digital download as it is simply tied to your battle.net account. Just type in your email and password in the d3 load screen and you're good to go!

I'm starting to get so excited. My legs are no longer still.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
not sure if it's already been covered, but we just finished setting up the electronic download and I'm wondering if we were supposed to get an activation code to identify the game or does it just know that it's a legit copy?
Since its online only, you must log in with your battle.net ID, which has a link to your D3 account
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 14, 2012, 06:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Since its online only, you must log in with your battle.net ID, which has a link to your D3 account
Thats the beauty of battlenet, you can take your account anywhere and play!
Old May 14, 2012, 06:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well... I bit the bullet and bought my own copy this evening as well... not sure if it's the fact that nobody but me goes in to turn off P2P (it doesn't ask, you have to know to look) while downloading, but hell it's coming down sweet!! I'm getting 2.7 - 3.5 MB/s down.... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I'm hoping for a fix for this actually. As much as I want to play this with friends there is a good chance I am leaving town and going to into an internet free zone later this week. One of my biggest problems with games today is that they all make the assumption that you are always connected to the internet and I'm not which causes no end of problems for me.

As for the CE I'll hope I find one, maybe maybe buy 1 from a 3rd party but if not I dont think I'll be missing out on much. Worth the price but not too much hassel from me.
----On that note if anyone wants to sell me 1 I might be willing to pay 120 for a sealed

And be glad noone here has preordered from Game Austraillia theres a good chance you wont be getting the game or your money returned. Makes me wonder if buying physical is safe anymore?
Old May 14, 2012, 07:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What happened in Australia?

As far as being able to play without being hooked up to the `net... I doubt very much that you'll see a "fix" as that's an integral part of the security features. The requirement to be hooked up caused quite a stir when it was first announced, but Blizzard wasn't going to back down. I suppose there's a chance that there might be an offline "hack" somewhere down the line, but I sure as hell wouldn't be risking my blizzard account by using one.

edit:

And on another note... am I the only one here who's getting tired of being "carded" every second page I visit on the DIII website?????

Last edited by sswilson; May 14, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

and here is proof that even if you have internet you really want to be able to play offline anyways.

I dont care if I cant use the auction house, I dont care if I cant transfer that character online. I bought the game, I want to be able to play it without the risk of an interruption from a server I have no control of and exist god knows where. Games use to be simple. I dont expect a "fix" soon and I know it will be unethical to use when there is one but I just want to be able to play the game I bought.

from Rock Paper Shotgun's first 3 hour review Hack Slashes: Three Hours With Diablo III | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Quote:
Blizzard have argued that Diablo IIIís requirement of a connection is not about DRM, but about improving the playerís experience. If people could play offline, thereíd be no way to prove they hadnít used cheats, and thus it would be unfair if they could then transfer those characters online. Oh, and their profit-generating auction houses would be inaccessible to such players. Thatís all true, but none of it is a reason to prevent people from playing offline anyway. Sure, youíd not be able to transfer your character into an online game, and perhaps someone might want to change their mind after a long time building a roll, and be frustrated by their being kept out. But with that made clear from the start, itís a personís choice. A person whoís paid their £40+ for the game could choose how they want to play it, accepting that caveat. Itís simply disingenuous to suggest that enforcing an always-on connection is necessary for the playersí benefit. And thatís ignoring the vast numbers of people who just canít play at all because of the lack of a permanent connection.

And the server drops tonight have shown exactly why itís a bloody stupid thing in the first place. An error message pops up, and then youíre back at login. And worse, progress is actually lost. It only happened to me the once in my first two hours (others have reported more), but a series of small dungeons Iíd cleared out in a graveyard were instantly unmapped, as well as a huge stretch of above ground location Iíd fully explored. Blank maps arenít quite the apology youíd be looking for after your game had stopped working for no good reason whatsoever.
And even without those delightful moments, thereís the frequent presence of lag. Itís not the end of the world to have to run the same few steps a second time, but itís bloody idiotic to be experiencing it when playing solo.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

In fairness... I initially played DII as a single player, but ended up playing single player (my own personal games w/ password) on battlenet for the convenience of both being able to mule, and for trading with other players. I don't particularily enjoy playing with other people, but the interaction of trading became integral to my enjoyment of DII. I for one, don't mind the requirement to be hooked up now that I've looked at my previous style of DII usage.