Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Flight Simulator suggestions needed (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/35249-flight-simulator-suggestions-needed.html)

chrisk August 15, 2010 04:40 PM

Flight Simulator suggestions needed

I have to confess I don't game much anymore, but the idea of a flight simulator seems like fun. I would like to try it out, and would appreciate some advice from anyone who is into flight sims.

I was going to go out and get MS Flight Sim X, but it seems that it is a little dated. But if its still recommended then I would consider it.

These are the requirements I can think of:
  • good graphics, based on real-world terrain and destinations
  • lots of destinations (I would like to try flying to places I have been in Europe, for example)
  • realistic controls, with good tutorials
  • would like to try commercial aircraft (ie. I don't want to be limited to WW2 dogfights, etc)
  • what would be a good, sub-$50 joystick/yoke? I can get a refurb Wingman 3 for $10....
Any advice is appreciated. Flight Sim X seems to fit what I want, but the graphics seem dated. Maybe there is a good competitor out there?

Perineum August 15, 2010 05:08 PM

Well since you said any advice is appreciated how would you like a swift kick in the ass off a tall building? It's very realistic and the ending is to die for.... :bleh:

ilya August 15, 2010 05:09 PM

Might want to try a demo first, maybe something like Wings of Prey on Steam. If you absolutely hate it, it'll save you the cost of a joystick.

Flight Sim X is still a pretty enjoyable experience IMO. Not something you'll be playing a lot though.

Lpfan4ever August 15, 2010 05:11 PM

I don't play any flight sims as my brain just can't handle them (or their boredom). However, from what I've heard FSX, although dated, can be modded like crazy, and still has a pretty big following to it.
Hopefully someone who actually plays flight sims can chime in though.

chrisk August 15, 2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 416167)
Well since you said any advice is appreciated how would you like a swift kick in the ass off a tall building? It's very realistic and the ending is to die for.... :bleh:

Haha well, I guess for the total **tards I should have specified 'any useful advice in obtaining said software and computer hardware meeting said needs described'.

BTW Just put your mom on the ground below and the landing should be real soft...and fun!!

Zero82z August 15, 2010 05:55 PM

As far as I know, there's nothing that can compare to FSX. There are a ton of mods out there and from what I hear it's still a really excellent and realistic flight sim. Should be pretty cheap as well, so you may as well snag a copy and give it a shot.

shaw August 15, 2010 06:02 PM

Stick to FSX. You won't be disappointed. Just max out the sliders...

jcmaz August 15, 2010 06:21 PM

For the extreme players of FSX: Welcome to Real Environment Xtreme

kruzn4evr August 15, 2010 07:02 PM

I have FSX if you want to try it out chris, I still like it and play it occasionally although I don't have controls or anything, I just use a Logitech rumblepad which works fine for me. There are lots of DL's you can add, this site is pretty good Flight Simulator X FSX FS9 FS2004 Add-ons

Thx for that link JC :thumb:

Let me know if you want to try it out.

ipaine August 15, 2010 07:55 PM

Another one I have seen and looks pretty good, although I have not tried it myself, is X-Plane.

You can even get a version of that Real Environment Xtreme for it.

Hmmm, the more I look at it the cooler it looks. They have the SR-71, X-15, Harrier, 747, B52, F-22, even the space shuttle and more. Those are what it comes with, not to mention the tons you can get online. Oh yea, they even have martian terrain and atmosphere data, so you can fly on Mars.