Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2010, 09:22 PM
Rookie
F@H

I'd recommend FSX if you're looking for realism.

Out of the box, it does an OK job, but with the addons, it really shines.

If you have the money (and harddrive space), you can make it ultra realistic.

The only addon that I would really recommend getting would be ultimate terrain. It adds accurate roads, railroads, lakes, rivers and more. Just a warning, it's pretty expensive and there are separate editions for the USA, Canada, and Europe. You can check it out, along with a bunch of other addons, at Flight 1 Software. There's also a pretty good video here that shows what it can look like with a couple of addons installed (Ultimate Terrain X, Ground Effects X, and Flight Environment X) compared to the default FSX install.

Finally, if you wanted to add even more realism, you could add an airline traffic addon, and a more detailed mesh (for more accurate elevations).

If all of that is too excessive, you could also check out Simviation to see if there are any particular free addons that you might want.

Last edited by Iceman; August 15, 2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old August 15, 2010, 09:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd listen to Iceman. He'd be your wingman anyday...
Old August 18, 2010, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Flight sim games are fun BUT the real fun is in combat flight sim games. You should take a look at some of those.
Old August 18, 2010, 02:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I just found out that Google earth has a flight sim built in. start Google earth then hit Ctrl/Alt/A at the same time. Probably not what your looking for but I heard someone on youtube say that you can use a game controller in stead of the keyboard.
Page up- to gain speed and take off and the arrow buttons to steer, arrow down is up
Old August 18, 2010, 03:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

There's a new MS flight one coming out.
I believe it's just called Flight.

Age of Empires, Microsoft Flight return, with trailers
Old August 18, 2010, 11:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have been playing with MS Flight Sims for a while now and FSX with add-ons is hard to beat. As some have pointed out, out of the box it is not too bad, but with some extra cash it gets better and better.

I would recommend the following add-ons. I have them and I am extremely pleased!

USA Extreme Landscapes a good review here AVSIM Online - Flight Simulation's Number 1 Site!
FTX NA Blue here FTX NA BLUE - USA Canada Pacific Northwest
Real Environment Extreme here Welcome to Real Environment Xtreme
Ultimate Terrain X for Canada and USA here UTX Canada for FSX

There are some awesome freeware add ons, I fly out of Comox, my new home and here is a great add on

CYQQ (2010) here CYQQ (2010)

and for flights to Victoria you have to have this one

CYYJ (2010) here CYYJ (2010)

Avsim is a great site with a lot of reviews, a good forum community and probably the most files for all flight sims out there.

AVSIM Online - Flight Simulation, Flightsim, flight sim, flight simulator, fsx, fs10

And last but not least, if you really start to get into it I would highly recommend a TrackIR setup.

TrackIR :: head tracking view control immersion for flight racing and action simulator :: TrackIR :: Premium head tracking for gaming

Here is a video someone made, nice addons and TrackIR 5

YouTube - FSX Acceleration [HD] Hawaii Oahu / TrackIR 5 / DX10 / Real Environment Xtreme 2.0

I love this stuff! I have a Saitek X52 flight stick setup, a throttle and stick, but I may get one of the civilian style yokes one day, because I like flying the bug smashers and the CH setup is pretty nice too.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old November 9, 2012, 01:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm a total novice to this Flight Sim gaming too. I've been having lots of fun with X-Plane 10, picked it up at Walmart for $29.00. I fly it with a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X flight control system I bought on Amazon.Ca for $47 with free shipping. It works well for me. Works under Windows 8, and displays well across three screens - I made a longer post about that earlier today before seeing your post in a search for X-Plane.

I've also "won" MS FSX Gold on eBay so will be able to let you know how they compare.

I have Warbirds Dogfights - sort of a cross between flight sim and arcade plane game. I also have IL*2:Cliffs of Dover but have not got it to fly yet - seems to be incompatible with Windows 8. Note: Warbirds is not three screen friendly (or at least I have not solved the riddle of how to make it so.)

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 9, 2012, 05:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

To be honest most of my Flight Sim planes are still in M.S. Flight Simulator 2004. So yeah I should move on, but it's just easier for me and I still like all of my scenery and plane collection. Although I did use X-Planes so yeah I highly recommend that as said above. Flight Sim X is more like a game than a Flight Sim IMHO.
Old November 9, 2012, 06:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If anyone want a flight sim that's as real as real can get,you want IL2 1946 with the Ultra Pack mod. There is no better combat flight sim available toay. Period.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5