Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2007, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default New 2K Studio rallying for Bioshock 2

Well now I guess we know why they aren't patching up Bioshock- because they're jockeying about in preparation for a second one. Not sure why Ken Levine is so unpopular...maybe he was gassy, or a double dipper.

"New 2K Studio formed for BioShock 2

Author: Joe Martin
Published: 30th November 2007

It's double whammy time: Not only is BioShock 2 in the pipeline, but so is a new X-Com game!

BioShock was a great game, but it did have its flaws. The good news though is that those flaws will hopefully be ironed out soon - in the sequel!

Before you start OMGing and WTFing about the sheer possibility of a new BioShock game, there's something you should know.

According to industry insider
Surfer Girl Reviews Star Wars and a job posting up on Gamasutra, the new game won't be headed up by Ken Levine, the man responsible for BioShock the first. Instead, it'll be made by a new 2K studio which is being founded specifically for the task.

The new studio, 2K Marin, is being founded by the remnants of the dev team from the first BioShock. Apparently, not many of the original staff wanted to work with Ken after BioShock.

"2K Boston is still recovering - a good chunk of the BioShock team did not want to work with Ken ever again, and 2K definitely understood the sentiment and let them set up a new studio so that they can make Bioshock 2, leaving Ken with Project X. A good chunk of the other senior 2K Boston people who were sick of Ken but didn't move to San Francisco ended up scattering to other AAA developers instead. In Quincy, they're essentially rebuilding a team from almost scratch again." Says Surfer Girl, who got tipped off by an anonymous source.

So, what is Ken Levine up to? Well, by the looks of it he's going to stay on in 2K Boston and is starting work on a new project called Project X which has been confirmed by some of the fleeing developers as being a new X-Com game."

From Bit Tech
Old December 2, 2007, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well if they make a second one I am hoping it will be more challenging then the last
Old December 3, 2007, 12:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

Haha, owned. It would be nice to see another bioshock, maybe this time without retarded copy right laws.
Old December 3, 2007, 01:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I loved Bioshock. In fact I'm replaying right now. Started right after I finished Crysis. Every game has some issues and Bioshock is no different. Had to be the most original shooter in a while. Story, art direction, gameplay: it was all very well conceived and executed IMO. Deserves some kind of Best of 2007 award(s).

How will they do a second one, storywise? Only time will tell. Hope it's as enjoyable as number 1. I am guessing nobody wants to work with Levine cause Bioshock took how many years and went through how many transitions before it was all said and done.

Regardless I'll keep my eye out for #2. Let's hope it doesn't take as long as #1. Oh and get the WS right this time and don't make a console game for PC either cuz that just sucks >:

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 3, 2007, 01:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

Oh, and for the "no patching" part, that's a downright lie. There is a new patch coming out soon with new plasmids and the such :D
Old December 4, 2007, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
Oh, and for the "no patching" part, that's a downright lie. There is a new patch coming out soon with new plasmids and the such :D
You got it mate! The much overdue 1.1 patch was released at Midnight and is now available for download. Note you may need to use IE as I had some issues with FF not displaying the download links.

BioShock Support

Highlights!
  • added some plasmids & tonics
  • fixed the WS FOV
  • option to disable vita chambers
  • fixed mouse lag
  • added walk/run toggle (why?)
  • and bunch of other fixes

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE