Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Starcraft 2- Video Card Overheating Bug! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/34680-starcraft-2-video-card-overheating-bug.html)

Technokat July 29, 2010 10:31 PM

Starcraft 2- Video Card Overheating Bug!

Blizzard Confirms StarCraft II Overheating Bug | Koku Gamer

Thought i would pass it along. I just noticed my GPU was running 93c at the main menu. This explains it. Yeesh.

LarkStarr July 30, 2010 01:02 AM

turn off your AA, Nvidia user!

hey, I say if your cards can't handle maximum stress without overheating, then your cooling is insufficient. Just like any other component in the system.

also 93C isn't epically bad. hot but not dangerously so.

bissa July 30, 2010 02:27 AM

still, that is something that should set off alarm bells if your hardware is getting that hot.

Technokat July 30, 2010 02:28 AM

i know i wasnt worried, but some people that have not as well of ventilated pc's could be in trouble. And i dont have aa on. A menu screen shouldnt be "max stressing" your gpu, i dont care if you wanna say it should handle it or not. Its not a stress test.

Arinoth July 30, 2010 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technokat (Post 409527)
Blizzard Confirms StarCraft II Overheating Bug | Koku Gamer

Thought i would pass it along. I just noticed my GPU was running 93c at the main menu. This explains it. Yeesh.

Good to know though at the same time aren't you running sli 480s? One would expect those to run a little hot on any game that loads it to 100%

Technokat July 30, 2010 06:43 AM

yes i am running sli 480's though only the one was hot, i dont think starcraft has sli support.

phoenixrage July 30, 2010 07:23 AM

I have hit low 90's on my SLI 480SC+ in the cut scenes (but with ambient of 28-29C).. but it levels off at high 70's low 80's.

I tried adding the 2 lines to the variables file, which is supposed to limit the max frames, it worked and kept cards in the low 70's, but caused 1 card to glitch after an hour or so, and it hit 104C. I knew somethign was wrong when the fan was going crazy (on full then off really fast), so I closed the game and saw precision showing the 104 on the primary card. So I deleted the lines I added and didn't have a problem after 3-4 hours of gameplay.

tzetsin July 30, 2010 10:15 AM

93 C is pretty much running temp on the 480s. my pair hover there almost constantly, on almost all the games i've tried.

In they're defence they are working pretty hard, but my point is that 93 is about top end, but still in the norm for nvidia gtx 480s at least.

NorthernLights July 30, 2010 01:31 PM

same with the 470, mine sits at 91-92 when maxed. i never noticed the main menu thing tho, and i've been running precision in the background to see the gpu usage. good to know. thx for the heads up.

Technokat July 30, 2010 01:42 PM

as i said, i wasnt so much worried about the 93c, i was more worried that it was getting 93 at the main menu. sigh, why has this thread gone from warning the main menu is glitched and stresses vid cards. to, wow there is no issue that temp is normal.