Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default 3D vision gaming!

Well I haven't had much time lately to post of HWC but one thing I just got a couple days ago was an Alienware Optx AW2310 monitor. I choose this monitor over the acer because a couple reviews said it was better and at the time cheaper.

Well I have been playing a lot of different games now and some of them feel like brand new games. 3D vision gaming is the only way I play most of my games now. At first it was a bit hard on the eyes and gave me a slight headache (the headache distracted me from the sunburn ). So it might not be for everyone. Some games though look like garbage in 3D and or are buggy. A lot of games though are great and some of them are "freaking yes". It is hard to describe 3D if you haven't seen it already but all I can say is it is amazing. It gives you depth as it stuff that is close looks closer and stuff that is far away looks far away. Also objects look more rounded as well.

If I had to summarize my new feeling on 3D I would say ******* yes would be the description of the experience.

I wont be gaming on my 30" monitor anymore.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 18, 2010, 05:22 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm very tempted to purchase...

Hows the fps tho? Cuz I don't have money for more then a GTX 470 or so, and I'm afraid that wouldn't be enough to run my games at max detail, and still in 3D.

The games I play the most right now are BFBC2, DA:O, and I'm wanting to go through Stalker again in the near future.

Also how does playing at lower resolutions look? like does the 3D sorta reduce pixelation a bit, and smooth things out?
Old July 18, 2010, 07:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've been interested in 3D vision since it came out. The price of a 3D monitor, the 3D vision pack, and nividia card(s) to handle it all turn me away from it. In the next few years I'll get into it if the price goes down.
Old July 19, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Which games look good to you and which games look like crap?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old July 19, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I'm very tempted to purchase...

Hows the fps tho? Cuz I don't have money for more then a GTX 470 or so, and I'm afraid that wouldn't be enough to run my games at max detail, and still in 3D.

The games I play the most right now are BFBC2, DA:O, and I'm wanting to go through Stalker again in the near future.

Also how does playing at lower resolutions look? like does the 3D sorta reduce pixelation a bit, and smooth things out?
Ya you need some serious GPU power to get good frame rate. For example I could run Heaven benchmark at 2560 x 1600 maxed with 8xAA but with 3D at 1920 x 1080 I have to turn it down to 2xAA to get smooth frame rates but it looks absolutely beautiful. So in short no a 470 won't be enough for the more demanding games but it should be fine for Bad Company 2. I haven't tried DA:O in 3D so can't comment on that but BFBC2 I can still crank up the AA.

Although a lot of older games look incredible. I still play CS:S a lot (my most played game of all time) and it is great. A few issues here and there like if you turn up the 3D depth too high than you get double crosshairs.

As far as games that look great in 3D are BFBC2, Ruse, Napoleon Total War (if you disable flags), Civilizations 4, and probably more though haven't had the time to play more yet.

Games I was very disappointed so far are Mount and Blade. I was so hoping that game would work in 3D but it is an ugly disaster turning on 3D. Hearts of Iron 3 looks like crap unless you want to stare at the menu which looks kinda cool. Haven't really played that many games that look awful in 3D yet.

List is a work in progress.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 20, 2010, 09:07 AM
Allstar

Can't wait for that 3d fashion to end, like others did before...

Old July 20, 2010, 09:56 AM
Rookie

3D is here to stay - it is the progression of the 2D display
of course there are applications of 3D which will be modified over time, but the overall technology is now here for good
Old July 20, 2010, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Can't wait for that 3d fashion to end, like others did before...
Although I sort of agree, if we can get 3D without the glasses, I think it will have a much better chance at retaining traction. Tthe glasses really kill it for most, especially in the realm of TV and movies. Outfitting your family or having enough around for friends to drop buy and participate costs way too much... plus glasses suck.

Anxiously awaiting 3DS!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old July 20, 2010, 03:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Asus just released their 23 inch 120hz 3d monitor and it comes packaged with the nvidia glasses. Quite reasonable i think considering it comes with the glasses. Newegg usa has them in stock, not sure when it will hit up here, but it will probably be pretty soon.
ASUS' 23-inch VG236H 3D monitor gets reviewed: pricey, but a real looker -- Engadget

Old July 20, 2010, 07:08 PM
Rookie

I agree with Thund3rball in waiting for no glasses required. It shouldn't be all that long even with Sony going to 3D TV heavily with glasses. From what I have read Samsung is going for no glasses and with releases next year. Early reports are not very good on Sammy's models but they have some good engineers that should get it working.