Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2007, 03:56 PM
Rookie

any one tried DiRT by codemasters....screen shots look awesome and the cars seem to take realistic damage.
Old November 26, 2007, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

I have Dirt..don't really love it because I hate playing by myself to get a better time than other opponents..so pff
Old November 26, 2007, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Racing games....oh how I love thee. Grew up on Cruizin USA at arcades. Then played a ton of NFS Hot Persuit. After that, Indy Car Racing on my first real good PC, a Compaq 386. There were a bunch of little ones in between, I think Test Drive or something was one, really old. My first real game was GT3 for PS2. I never had a memory card at first, so I would play at night, start the simulation mode, and go for hours and hours, until I unlocked the F1 cars. I would play day after day, finding the most efficient way to get to the fastest cars. I am so godly at that game now, you have no clue. I also played a TON of PGR2. Used to play with my old housemates in Toronto nightly.

After that it was all downhill to me. The newer NFS games are not that good, got GTR2, GT Legends, and they just don't do it for me. PGR3 was a fail, I found it to be nice and pretty, but it was not challenging enough. DiRT was a welcom surprise, but it seems to lack some polish, and the feel is just a little off. I am eagerly awaiting GranTurismo 5(HD). They are the only ones to be able to do it, I think.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.0
i7-5820K
3 x GTX 1070
4x4GB Corsair LPX 2666MHZ
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 240GB Patriot Blaze SSD RAID0 :)
HP OMEN 32 1440p 75hz

Benq W1070 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old November 26, 2007, 06:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

Haha, I can't stand normal racing games, they bore me to no end. On the other hand...give me something like Burnout and you won't get me away from it
Old November 26, 2007, 10:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm a racing game aficionado and I should remind everyone that there are significant differences between racing simulators and driving simulators in their presentation and 'feel'; differences that make cross-comparisons intolerable to purists. My tastes are in driving simulators, which is essentially the unrivaled Gran Turismo franchise for the PlayStation console. I've debated numerous times--and am tired of it--about the differences between the two types of simulators to contest comparing, for example, the realism and graphics of GTR2 to those of Gran Turismo 4.

But the breakdown is like this (with example, enclosed):
Driving simulators = driving spirit (Gran Turismo uncontested)
Racing simulators = competitive spirit (Race '07)

Realism should account for believability: on what basis can we judge the realism of a 2003 Ferrari 550 Maranello GT race car on a closed circuit? We can't assume it's the most realistic because it 'feels' like it nor on someone else's opinion; whereas driving road cars in Gran Turismo is much more 'real' affair.

Bottom line: simulators differ in very important aspects. My recommendation goes to Gran Turismo because, if you enjoy the driving experience like me and heritage behind the cars, you will enjoy that game.
Old November 26, 2007, 10:51 PM
Misoprostol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
My favourite racing game? Rock n'Roll Racing for the SNES.

OMG ME TOO!! Haha.
Old November 29, 2007, 07:29 AM
Rookie

Just picked up a game called DiRT.
Don't waste your time with this one.
Old November 29, 2007, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I had a lot of fun with DiRT. It is a better experience on the Xbox 360 though. Just seems to run smoother and easier to control. I just couldn't get my G25 set up properly on my PC for it.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.0
i7-5820K
3 x GTX 1070
4x4GB Corsair LPX 2666MHZ
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 240GB Patriot Blaze SSD RAID0 :)
HP OMEN 32 1440p 75hz

Benq W1070 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old April 7, 2008, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

Test Drive Unlimited or GTR 2...these i am playing at the moment..
Old April 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
Quadfather

I have lots n lots of driving games spanning many platforms/consoles, so I would rate them a little differently:
Best current-gen arcade style racer: Motorstorm (PS3) / Flatout Ultimate Carnage (360)
Best current-gen simulation racer: GT5 (PS3- when it comes out) / ForzaMotorsport 2 (360)
Best pc arcade-style racer: NFSU2/Prostreet
Best pc simulation racer: NFS: Porche unleashed (Old yes, but amazing physics, engine sounds, car detail and realism).