Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   SUPCOM more stressful than Crysis?! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/33740-supcom-more-stressful-than-crysis.html)

mjpd1983 June 29, 2010 06:47 PM

SUPCOM more stressful than Crysis?!

Hey guys,

Just curious what fps you's are getting out of your rigs on SUPCOM 1 if you happen to play that game

I've always heard its very CPU intensive but it doesnt seem to stress or use much of my i5 750

I also have a HD5870 and i usually get around 30 - 49fps in game

Is that normal?

i get way more fps in other newer and more "intensive" games such as Crysis Warhead, BBC2, Dirt 2

Anyone have any personal experience to share?

Looks like SUPCOM is even more stressful to the rig than Crysis Warhead

Cheers:thumb:

Mook06 June 29, 2010 10:40 PM

i know nothing about the game, but maybe its only single core and windows is jumping the task around so it looks like very low activity

Thund3rball June 30, 2010 09:50 AM

Might be right in range actually, depending on what res you are running at. Check this article from HWC. :thumb:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...pu-review.html

MpG June 30, 2010 01:33 PM

The original SupCom was/is a gross CPU pig on larger levels with lots of units. Despite all the marketing hype claiming that it would fully use a quad-core, the actual ratio seems to be about 75% on core 0, and 25% on the other three cores combined. A limitation of the game engine, I've been led to understand.

What you'll see as you increase level size/units, is the game will actually slow the in-game clock down to let it keep up with all the AI/projectile calculations, but still keep rendering frames as fast as it can manage. But graphics-wise, I'm not sure I would say that it's more demanding than Crysis, although I don't recall ever seeing sky-high numbers on my GTX280.

belgolas June 30, 2010 04:52 PM

Generally massive strategy games like supreme commander, total war, etc are more stressful than FPS's in general.

Zero82z June 30, 2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belgolas (Post 398072)
Generally massive strategy games like supreme commander, total war, etc are more stressful than FPS's in general.

No, they are just more CPU-intensive. Most strategy games require less graphical power than FPSes and other shooter-style games.

belgolas July 1, 2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 398214)
No, they are just more CPU-intensive. Most strategy games require less graphical power than FPSes and other shooter-style games.

Well he is talking about CPU's. I have yet to see a system that can run any total war game maxed out with max players/armies smoothly.

mjpd1983 July 1, 2010 06:52 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys

Yeah the game runs very smooth but was just curious of the fps ppl are getting since mine were around 30-50fps with the i5 750 and 5870

No complaints either way, just hard to tell if the game is multi core optimised when watching core activity

Cheers:biggrin:

frontier204 July 2, 2010 05:02 PM

Yep when I LAN SupCom it's usually the people with the most stable rigs that win :haha:, and we normally end up disconnecting weak laptops / those running unstable Wifi links.
I can get perfectly smooth "FPS" in the game with my Radeon 4870 (with the exception of Forged Alliance with too much Seraphim stuff on screen at once), but as everyone else said it's the CPU that's the killer.

One sign that (one core of) your CPU is getting hosed is you look at the game timer. If I play against too many AIs, I get a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of real time vs the time being shown on the timer. (e.g. 1:30 into a game in real time, and the timer shows less than 1 hour) Note that all though this slowness, I do not see choppy frames... just everything moving in slow motion.

The game is also accused of overrunning a 32-bit Windows app's 2-gig working space limit: GPG Forums • View topic - Crashing with large maps, several skirmish AI (FIX)
My friend and I noticed this in an 8-player LAN game, when he launched ~60 air superiority fighters at my ~80 air superiority fighters and 20+ SAM sites. Both our games crashed the second all the stuff started launching missiles.

MpG July 3, 2010 02:52 PM

Yeah, if you're looking for big maps, using the large address aware tag is almost mandatory. No idea how the developers overlooked that aspect.