Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2010, 07:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Left for dead purchase advice!

Howdy,

Surprisingly, me being an FPS fan, it's kinda weird that I never consider purchasing Left for Dead (1 or 2).
It's probably because I was busy playing COD4 and 5 and now Bad company 2. That's basically what me and my gaming buddies are concentrating on. but we played a little COD5 Zombies and had fun.

Of course, gaming using voice chat is a lot of fun...
Now, I'm considering buying a Left for Dead game ,they are selling for cheap nowadays.

-Left for Dead 1 is the original, and apparently has great support from the modding community.
-Left for Dead 2, being the sequel, probably brings a few improvements (but maybe less players???!!!).

Regardless of price, which version would you recommend me do get?

Also, please explain how the multiplayer experience is: Servers (dedi or not) server quantity, annoyances, lag or glitches...please help!
Plz comment on the replayability and fun factor...is it fun for a few days or it's better than that?

Thanks a lot.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old June 23, 2010, 07:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really liked both of the games. If you're dead set on getting at least one, I'd say go for 2 just because it has a lot more variety, in weapons, items, maps, etc
My gripe with the game (which is why I haven't touched it in months) is that once one team starts losing, they usually just quit. The game itself is very fun, but the community behind it just sucks most of the time.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 23, 2010, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
My gripe with the game (which is why I haven't touched it in months) is that once one team starts losing, they usually just quit. The game itself is very fun, but the community behind it just sucks most of the time.
Every game game is like that, though due to the fact it is 4v4 in vs mode it would make more of an impact than on something where it is 10v10 or more.
Old June 23, 2010, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

Oh, ok, I didn't know it was a 4-man team only in MP...
So often, when you're on top, the opponent team drops the guns and leave?
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old June 26, 2010, 10:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Oh, ok, I didn't know it was a 4-man team only in MP...
So often, when you're on top, the opponent team drops the guns and leave?
I dont know about now, haven't played it in about 3 months (BC2) .... but before when i played people don't usually leave unless they are loosing really bad.

Other than that its a great game, Biggest reason i would say go for L4D 2 is "YOU CAN PLAY AS ZOMBIES!"
Old June 26, 2010, 11:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by key3thermal View Post
I dont know about now, haven't played it in about 3 months (BC2) .... but before when i played people don't usually leave unless they are loosing really bad.

Other than that its a great game, Biggest reason i would say go for L4D 2 is "YOU CAN PLAY AS ZOMBIES!"
It's gotten worse lately with people raging.
Old June 26, 2010, 11:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I enjoyed playing it for about a weak then it lost its luster. Girlfriend still plays it still and its been months since she started. Its all about preference but i gotta say i like the first one over the second one.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by key3thermal View Post

You can play as zombies in the first as well.
Old June 27, 2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

They are kickarse games. Get BOTH!!!!
Old June 27, 2010, 03:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
You can play as zombies in the first as well.
Yepp, see what happens when you don't play for sometime. I have them both and i didn't even touch L4D1 when L4D2 came out.

Well here's some peanut butter jelly!