Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2010, 11:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Secondary drive games.

i have 2 80gb intels, i had them in raid0 but without trim or being able to use toolbox i decided to just use one for os and the other for games.

can anyone explain how i could load all my games to a second drive (ssd) so that when i format and reload (windows7) my main drive i dont have to load all my games again?

like for COD4 it also installs services like punkbuster A and B, so how would i make it so i dont have to re-install the games and apps like ventrillo and xfire and just run them from the second ssd?

is it possible?

Old June 22, 2010, 12:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nope. They all put required stuff in the registry. Back up the hidden directories \programdata and \users\yourname\appdata and you won't lose your savefiles, but the programs themselves have to be reinstalled.

If you have Steam, back up that directory and copy it over after a re-install, you won't have to re-download your games.
Old June 22, 2010, 12:56 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Nope. They all put required stuff in the registry. Back up the hidden directories \programdata and \users\yourname\appdata and you won't lose your savefiles, but the programs themselves have to be reinstalled.

If you have Steam, back up that directory and copy it over after a re-install, you won't have to re-download your games.
Not entirely correct. A lot of games do not require an install now-a-days. Just try running the launcher or the actual game exe. It may prompt you to just re enter the cd key.

And save games are almost always under My Documents. At least w/ every game I play.
Old June 22, 2010, 01:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

ya, thats what i thought was the issue, registry crap.
cod4 never worked out of my old hdd but wow did, i have wow on an external harddrive and can play it right off it on any PC.
i also have most of my steam games backed up so its easy to load them all at once. :)
thanks for the replies.

Old June 22, 2010, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

While games still use the registry (ugh I hope they stop using it soon), running the game executable itself might rewrite the registry entries. It happens when I play Diablo II or Starcraft. I've deleted entries to get rid of Realm Downs (when it used to work), and restarting the game resulted in the entries being rewritten again.
Old June 22, 2010, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it all depends on the games I have made one of my games portable I just moved all the files into the game folder and copied it to my hard drive then when ever I do a reinstall I just create a shortcut to the games .exe file. but not all games can do this but allot of them can, mostly you just have to do what SugarJ mentions.
I would just search for all files and folders that are related to the game then copy them ( meaning the folders) to a main folder. I have done this with a couple of games also so after I did my reinstall I just copy and paste the folders back to where there where before on the new os.