Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2010, 02:55 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Best place to get demos?

Hey guys,

First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, i wasn't sure which thread to put it in since its related to two different things.

My first question is, were is the best place to get game demos from? I currently use a website FileShack: Free Game Patch/Patches | PC Demo/Demos | PC Mod/Mods | PC Download/Downloads for PC Video Games but is it really worth using fileplanet? I quit going to fileplanet years ago because it used to be plastered in ad's and pop ups.

Is it worth subscribing to a paid site like fileplanet? and are there any other websites like fileshack and fileplanet to get game demos from?

Thanks
Old June 22, 2010, 06:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

I guess it would depend on the demo. If they are 'exclusive' demos than fileplanet or whatever may be the only place to get it. But generally you will find demos hosted on many different sites. Steam has demos as well.

Fileplanet isn't really that bad, if the ads really annoy you just get adblockplus or noscript or both or any other ad/popup blocking addon.
Old June 22, 2010, 06:33 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Personally, I love Fileshack. It's one of the only free yet dependable sites around and it deserves people's support.

Steam also posts tons of demos.
Old June 22, 2010, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Fileplanet is meh... the only time i used it was for BFBC2 Beta. Don't subscribe to it. With the money you used to subscribe, you might as well get a new game.

-Plato
Old June 22, 2010, 08:51 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Gamershell is OK. Nzone is extremely fast, however demos are usually out for a few days before they pick them up, the latest greatest TWIMTBP games usually show up faster.

Fileplanet is good if your looking for something old, they seem to have the best file retention, but I still wouldn't pay.
Old June 22, 2010, 09:11 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Fileshack is win. The problem is that they don't always get the files out right away. When that happens, I rely on Fileplanet's free servers, Gamershell, or whatever site I can find what I'm looking for on. To be honest though, I don't download many demos these days anyway.
Old June 22, 2010, 10:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I used to have a Fileplanet subscription. Didn't help much since they're really just cashing in on your impatience. Files didn't actually download much faster. Realistically, I saved only 5-15 minutes by the end of large game files that took 3 hours, anyway. Lineups from queuing weren't that bad back then, either.

Fileshack is a good source since lineups are usually much shorter. Anybody remember when they were shut down due to spiraling expenses, then re-established the next day?