Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2010, 11:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Buying PS3

Hey guys,

So ive been tempted to get a PS3....ive been a PC gamer for about two years now but im fed up with all the installing,then patching...activation issues etc and then the forever task of having to upgrade to make sure your pc will play the latest games...id like to just simply put in a disk and play...thats it with no fuss!

My important system specs if yo u wanted to know
Q6600 -3.5Ghz
4gb DDR2 932Mhz
HD 4890 XXX 1GB

Now im a Graphics junkie,I have a problem playing games if they dont look nice,So what exactly is the PS3s graphics processor comparable to on a PCs graphics card?

Can anyone who actualy owns a PS3 tell me what the graphics are like?

If i did get one,Id be buying the following games for it.

GTA IV
Red dead redemption

I already have brand new 22" LG 1080p tv..
Old June 17, 2010, 11:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

PS3..... eeeeeeeew.

I had a PS3, but really like the 360 better so I got rid of the PS3. The graphics are comparable across the two consoles. I wouldn't really compare the consoles to any specific video card, but I would say that they are comparable to newer games set on medium-low graphics settings. Wii isn't anywhere close.

I honestly see slightly better, but reasonably close graphics with my 8800GTX OC than on the PS3 or 360. I usually set graphics to medium and get around 40-50 FPS for shooters/racers. I think you will be taking a big step down from your 4980 graphically.

I do agree with you though. Sometimes it's nice to not worry about patches/activation etc though STEAM takes care of that for the most part. I do find that the xbox Friend system works better than a whole bunch of individual friend networks on different games. Consoles work fine for racers and shooters, but leave RTS and TBS games on PC where they belong... anyone remember starcraft 64 lol. Even halo wars feels wrong on 360, though it was a good try. It is also fairer when everyone is useing the same controllers and hardware, and it's tough to aimbot on a console. After PC gaming though, having to put a disc in every time you switch games gets annoying.
Old June 18, 2010, 05:50 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

In my opinion, Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 are the best looking games on ANY platform. Maybe with the exception of Metro 2033 on the PC but you need a good $2000 worth of hardware to even think about playing that at reasonable detail settings.
Old June 18, 2010, 06:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The PS3 will be a little under a good video card quality in display quality but it's still really decent and good looking with HD resolution. I am a PC gamer for a long time and I am not disapointed about the PS3 I bought few month ago. Only the Blu-ray player worth about 200$ of the price tag then you pay an extra 100 for the console:P Some game are better on PC for sure but there is also some other game like little big planet that can only be nice on console:) I'd sugest to buy it.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 18, 2010, 06:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you're a graphics junkie look into God of War III, Uncharted 2, and Killzone 2. Also keep your eye out for Gran Turismo 5. May not be as high res as some PC games, but they sure look awesome on a HDTV.
Old June 18, 2010, 06:49 AM

I still have to find GoW 3 at a good price.
Old June 18, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Gaming

I have a PS3 and love it. The only thing I would recommend if you don't already have it or intend to get it is the HDMI cable. This really makes the difference, as there are items I hadn't noticed with analog graphics. SKYMTL, try looking for a used G of W game. Not easy, I know. Great game though.
Old June 18, 2010, 07:20 AM

Not only that but as with any console, forget about playing it on an LCD TV that doesn't support some type of setting to turn off image processing. Or buy a plasma...

Samsung has their Game Mode on some sets while Sony also has this on the Bravia line. If you don't turn it on, expect massive lag on most sets. On the Samsung LN52A850 and LN52B750 I didn't have much lag with the image processing enabled. However, I have been using Samsung's LN55C650 and LN55C750 for the last month and games are virtually unplayable without Game Mode enabled.
Old June 18, 2010, 07:30 AM
Top Prospect

Just to throw out a dissenting opinion, I own both. The PS3 is a very capable machine, runs the games quite smoothly, etc, and I almost never use it. If the little kids were not starting to use it for their singing games it would be a rather poor DIVX/Blueray player for me.

I am at the end of the day a PC gamer. I tend to play more complex games (Total War, CIV, etc) and when I want to relax and kill stuff with a FPS game, I want a keyboard and mouse and my PC is far more powerful. Just something to keep in mind.
Old June 18, 2010, 08:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Not only that but as with any console, forget about playing it on an LCD TV that doesn't support some type of setting to turn off image processing. Or buy a plasma...

Samsung has their Game Mode on some sets while Sony also has this on the Bravia line. If you don't turn it on, expect massive lag on most sets. On the Samsung LN52A850 and LN52B750 I didn't have much lag with the image processing enabled. However, I have been using Samsung's LN55C650 and LN55C750 for the last month and games are virtually unplayable without Game Mode enabled.
I have a Samsung that's a few years old now and I find I can dial in a better picture quality with Game Mode turned off. The only time I notice a slight difference in lag is when I play Rock Band or Guitar Hero on my 360, but those games have a setting to compensate for lag anyway. Now I'm also half blind so it could just be me.