Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2010, 08:40 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Speed View Post
I have a Samsung that's a few years old now and I find I can dial in a better picture quality with Game Mode turned off. The only time I notice a slight difference in lag is when I play Rock Band or Guitar Hero on my 360, but those games have a setting to compensate for lag anyway. Now I'm also half blind so it could just be me.
Yes, because when Game Mode is turned on, it stops the post processing that is done on the TV which eliminates the vast majority of display options.
Old June 18, 2010, 08:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I actually never really thought about Game Mode being there to reduce lag though. Never really read up on what Game Mode actually did. Now that I'm used to it with it off I'm going to try turning it on while playing a shooter or something and see if I can notice a difference.
Old June 18, 2010, 09:10 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

just an opinion from my part.

i've got PC, 360 and PS3

i play the 360 the least, and love my ps3. it's just great, it does everything i want out of a console, and besides, most games you come on both systems, aside from the exclusives (although i guess i'm covered on that ground) but i'd easily say that if i had to pick between the two consoles, i'd go with the ps3 because this is my 3rd 360...and it's fairly loud as well.
Old June 18, 2010, 09:17 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Well i've always been a PC guy but all my friends have ps3 and i play it all the time. I if your tired of installing and patching you'll just have to live with it!! lol its just slightly easier to do on a ps3, but the same updates need to be made most of the time(system updates and game updates). now for keeping your PC up to date (new hardware) well that just you wanting better stuff!! with PC's you get the option to have better graphics.. you could run all the games with your 4890 you just might have to turn down some graphic settings, which i bet will put it on par with the ps3 graphically at the very least. with that said i see the console appeal especially the with the ps3 blueray!!!! and not having to deal with graphic settings.. but where else can you DL every game for free and buy the good ones!! if i had to pay for every garbage game that i've played i'd be broke.. lol.. but with some killer ps3 exclusives (gran turismo and final fantasy) i can see the draw... well thats my 2 cents..

ps if you get a ps3 and like tower defense games get pixel junk monsters! great game...
Old June 18, 2010, 10:35 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevakonaza View Post
So what exactly is the PS3s graphics processor comparable to on a PCs graphics card?
Roughly equivalent to a 7800GT.

Personally, I own a Wii, an Xbox 360, and I have used PS3s extensively. At the end of the day, the only platform I actually play games on recreationally is my PC. Aside from a handful of decent console exclusives, there isn't much about consoles that appeals to me any more. It's not like the good old days when each console had a largely unique games library and the PC did as well; now, the market is mostly full of cross-platform games, and the PC versions are usually superiour. I personally also think the PS3's user interface is cumbersome and very poorly designed. But that's just my opinion. I would suggest that if you have a friend that owns a PS3, try it for a bit and see if you enjoy playing games on it. When it all comes down to it, you have to form your own opinion.
Old June 18, 2010, 11:01 AM
MVP

Go with whatever your friends have if you like multiplayer. If you stick to single player most of the time your better off sticking with the PC.
Old June 18, 2010, 11:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the consoles don't render at 1080p or even 720p most of the time, they usually render somewhere between 720 and 540, and then upscale it up. in order to maintain frame rates.

the differences between the 2 consoles will vary from game to game, and sometimes one will look slightly better than the other.

i.e. Final Fantasy 13 is way better on PS3 vs the 360, but GTA4 is sharper on the 360 over the PS3. some games will run slightly smoother, and the 360 has some neat features (like loading the disc onto the hdd to reduce noise/wear & tear). If you play a lot online, i'd go with a 360, since the XBL community is way better than the PSN.

only games I'll play on PC now are exclusives/strategy games. otherwise i'm usually on the xbox to play with friends (if multiplayer is a key component). and I go with the PS3 version if it actually is a significant enough advantage.
Old June 18, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I own both PC and PS3 (as well as a couple other consoles and handhelds). As said already Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 and GoW 3 lead the graphics for the PS3. I think Uncharted 2 actually won a few best graphics awards in 2010.

I am very happy with my PS3 because the exclusives interest me way more than the 360 ones, and I like the Blu-Ray. In truth some multiplatform games are just better on consoles imo... usually the 3rd person action style games like RDR or AC. PC obviously pwns in FPS and Strategy. But FPS on PS3 can be good too like Resistance, Borderlands and Killzone are all excellent.

I also use the Blu-Ray all the time. I found the PS3's up-scaling on my DVDs wasn't quite as crisp as my upscaling Samsung DVD with the Feroudja processor, but it does a pretty fair job.

I can understand getting tired of the maintenance that comes with PC gaming, but that wasn't my reasoning for getting a PS3. I still love my PC too. I have owned consoles for years in addition to PCs. I just think it makes sense if you really like gaming.

Hey maybe we can be friends on PSN? If anyone else here wants to hook up through PSN PM me.
Cheers and enjoy da gaming!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 20, 2010, 10:41 PM
Top Prospect

Just to throw in my two cents; if a ICO/Shadow of the Colossus pack is ever announced I'll be buying a ps3 ASAP.
Old June 20, 2010, 11:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

PS3 is a great choice. Especially if you have an HDTV.

Good for Bluray and PS3 exclusives mostly. It will probably take you some time to get used to the dreadful joystick though. Maybe invest in a wireless keyboard/mouse for the ps3.