Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2010, 03:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Rock Band 3: Bridging the gap between plastic & real instruments

Finally, an excuse to tell all those self-important "musicians" who tell you to "learn to play a real instrument" to go sod off.

Rock Band 3 Squier Stratocaster plays both real and virtual guitar... at the same time (video) -- Engadget

Also added in is an actual midi keyboard as a new instrument.
Bring on Bohemian Rhapsody.

I wasn't originally that excited by RB3. I love my banging out songs on plastic instruments, but if I can learn to play real guitar in a fun way like this then I'm definitely interested.

Some more info:

Hands on: Rock Band 3 instruments reward real skill
Old June 16, 2010, 03:29 PM
Top Prospect

This is very cool and at the same time all i can think of how hard it is going to be playing the guitar can't wait till it is released and the piano sounds like it will be fun as well.
Old June 16, 2010, 04:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is old news for me, but nonetheless, I can't want for RB3. I've got a real bass pedal coming and I need to buy a third cymbal for my ION drums, and I will be set for the "Pro" mode. I am not looking forward to the Pro guitar modes though, just way too much for my mind to process.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 16, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well I have played guitar for many years and have tinkered on some other instruments too, but that never stopped me from enjoying RB games as is. I think the Pro mode is a welcomed evolution but to me, it's just a game. One that I can enjoy with my friends and family whether they have any musical talent or not. That's what I like best about it anyways. Not sure if I'll get the keyboard yet? We'll see.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 16, 2010, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

I seem to recall seeing somewhere a rockband type game that actually used real instruments.
Old June 16, 2010, 08:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think it's kinda cool..... but pointless.... I don't think it will be as fun as the old style.

It appears that you are buying a cheap Chinese fender (squire) and some jam tracks...?
Old June 20, 2010, 10:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
This is old news for me, but nonetheless, I can't want for RB3. I've got a real bass pedal coming and I need to buy a third cymbal for my ION drums, and I will be set for the "Pro" mode. I am not looking forward to the Pro guitar modes though, just way too much for my mind to process.

damn, your too far ahead of me I'm lookin into double bass and some cymbals as well (only got the ION CORE Edition )

And what is this pro mode you speak of? I havn't been paying too much attantion to RB3 as i'm swamped with Scorehero leagues right now
Old June 20, 2010, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
damn, your too far ahead of me I'm lookin into double bass and some cymbals as well (only got the ION CORE Edition )

And what is this pro mode you speak of? I havn't been paying too much attantion to RB3 as i'm swamped with Scorehero leagues right now
Pro drums is going to be where you have to hit the cymbals when they're being played. So, you can't hit the green pad when it's supposed to be the green cymbal. Other than that, nothing is changing for pro drums.
I've got the IONs with 2 cymbals, which suck sooo bad. I currently have them set for blue/green because they don't seem to cope well with a lot of hits (I had them both as hi-hat at one point or another, but they suck) I'll get a pic up of my setup here in a minute.

EDIT

Don't mind the mess. My room is basically half storage and half my living area. Here's a high quality link, if for some reason you're interested. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5579100/DSCF3185.JPG

Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Last edited by Lpfan4ever; June 20, 2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old June 21, 2010, 06:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
Pro drums is going to be where you have to hit the cymbals when they're being played. So, you can't hit the green pad when it's supposed to be the green cymbal. Other than that, nothing is changing for pro drums.
I've got the IONs with 2 cymbals, which suck sooo bad. I currently have them set for blue/green because they don't seem to cope well with a lot of hits (I had them both as hi-hat at one point or another, but they suck) I'll get a pic up of my setup here in a minute.

EDIT

Don't mind the mess. My room is basically half storage and half my living area. Here's a high quality link, if for some reason you're interested. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5579100/DSCF3185.JPG

Ah I sees.....better get my equipment then :P need new sticks now as mine broke after I FC'd the Spoonman solo (too much awesomeness). What kind of pedal are you getting and would you reccommend any other cymbals other than the ION ones?
Old June 21, 2010, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
Ah I sees.....better get my equipment then :P need new sticks now as mine broke after I FC'd the Spoonman solo (too much awesomeness). What kind of pedal are you getting and would you reccommend any other cymbals other than the ION ones?
Well, the pedal is in my pic, at the bottom. Mine's a Tama HP30 (which I don't recommend due to lack of some crucial adjustments, such as independent beater adjustment) with the internals and magnet ripped out of a RB1 stock pedal. My brother managed to snap one of my ION cables before, so I stripped the ends of it and stripped the ends of the stock pedal wires and twisted them together for now, until I get the solder I ordered. I had a really hard time in songs like Alive by Pearl Jam with the long, sustained sections of bass pedal, as the stock ION pedal doesn't have much bounce to it. Even this shitty pedal lets me do it with ease.
As for cymbals, some of the official Rock Band forums regulars (which happen to be some of the highest ranked people) seem to recommend Pintech a lot. Mainly the TC10's and TC14's. I'm probably going to go for a TC10 since it's smaller.
There's also a couple of pedals you can order online, ready to go for Rock Band, without needing modding. It seems the favourite is the Rock Pedal, followed by the Destroyer Pedal, followed by the Omega Pedal. There's also RockBandParts.com that you can order from as well. I bought Xcell pads from them and they got here pretty fast. Shipping on all the bass pedals is pretty damn high though.
For sticks, I'm currently using some Pro-Mark sticks, Neil Peart Autograph. I got them from Long and McQuade. Here's a (blurry) picture, they're pretty beat up now though.

Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Last edited by Lpfan4ever; June 21, 2010 at 10:19 AM.