Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2010, 09:25 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

All the Rock Band 3 stuff looks awesome, but I feel like I have enough plastic instruments already. I've been keeping up with this stuff since the first Guitar Hero on PS2, it's really a pretty big money sink. I might just pick up the disc of RB3 when it comes out, if that. Is there much changes in the core of the game without getting the newer fancy stuff?
Old June 21, 2010, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Basically if you want to keep all your old stuff, it'll be the same core experience with new songs. The only thing I can think of is vocal harmonies, if you're into that sort of thing. Some songs will allow up to 3 people signing, but you'd need 3 microphones.
Here's a video of the whole Harmonix stage demo from E3.

YouTube - Rock Band 3 Stage Demo At E3 2010 By Harmonix (Filmed By Rockbandaide.com) (HD)
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 21, 2010, 10:06 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
Well, the pedal is in my pic, at the bottom. Mine's a Tama HP30 (which I don't recommend due to lack of some crucial adjustments, such as independent beater adjustment) with the internals and magnet ripped out of a RB1 stock pedal. My brother managed to snap one of my ION cables before, so I stripped the ends of it and stripped the ends of the stock pedal wires and twisted them together for now, until I get the solder I ordered. I had a really hard time in songs like Alive by Pearl Jam with the long, sustained sections of bass pedal, as the stock ION pedal doesn't have much bounce to it. Even this shitty pedal lets me do it with ease.
As for cymbals, some of the official Rock Band forums regulars (which happen to be some of the highest ranked people) seem to recommend Pintech a lot. Mainly the TC10's and TC14's. I'm probably going to go for a TC10 since it's smaller.
There's also a couple of pedals you can order online, ready to go for Rock Band, without needing modding. It seems the favourite is the Rock Pedal, followed by the Destroyer Pedal, followed by the Omega Pedal. There's also RockBandParts.com that you can order from as well. I bought Xcell pads from them and they got here pretty fast. Shipping on all the bass pedals is pretty damn high though.
For sticks, I'm currently using some Pro-Mark sticks, Neil Peart Autograph. I got them from Long and McQuade. Here's a (blurry) picture, they're pretty beat up now though.

Thanks for the input man! Im aware of rockband parts (I got my ION's from them) and was looking into getting something like this for a bass pedal: Rock Band Parts - Yamaha KP-65 PLUS Roadie Kick Box RB & DP-500
And yeah, shipping is a son of a with them, but well worth it. I got my ION's in about a week.

I'll be sure to look into the cymbals. I would hate to try this pro mode with over/under responsive cymbals.

As for the sticks, i'll just pick up something thats light weight; I liked the control i got from the sticks that came with my ION's, so hopefully i can find something that is or near identical to them.
Old June 21, 2010, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
Thanks for the input man! Im aware of rockband parts (I got my ION's from them) and was looking into getting something like this for a bass pedal: Rock Band Parts - Yamaha KP-65 PLUS Roadie Kick Box RB & DP-500
And yeah, shipping is a son of a with them, but well worth it. I got my ION's in about a week.

I'll be sure to look into the cymbals. I would hate to try this pro mode with over/under responsive cymbals.

As for the sticks, i'll just pick up something thats light weight; I liked the control i got from the sticks that came with my ION's, so hopefully i can find something that is or near identical to them.
That'd be amazing to play with those pedals. I don't know if I could handle double bass quite yet. As for the sticks, I prefer something a bit heavier, so definitely stray away from the ones I use. The odd thing about my playing is I'm a righty, but I use my left foot for bass pedal duties. I don't know why, but my right leg just doesn't cooperate at all.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old June 21, 2010, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I seem to recall seeing somewhere a rockband type game that actually used real instruments.
yea the other one is power gig rise of the six string. the guitar is done the same as the rockband one. they are also workin on bass and drums
Old June 21, 2010, 12:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm probably only going to pick up the disc. Hopefully bestbuy will have the new instruments set up so I can see what the fuss is about.
Old June 21, 2010, 01:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The track listing looks pretty good. I guess I'll get it. Rock Band games have generally been awesome anyway. I haven't liked Guitar Hero since Guitar Hero 2.
Old June 21, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I really like RB actually. I am playing through RB2 again with a buddy as he just picked it up a month or so ago fro his PS2 (ya I know?). Actually haven't played in a while so my chops are a bit rusty. I don't mind that though as it gives me something to shoot for. Truthfully though the hardcore metal tracks at the end of the game, I really can't stand those. I like Metallica but have grown out of the metal some time ago. So trying to get through those tracks to complete the game is a bit like pulling teeth for me. But being able to download from the 1000s of tracks available online is awesome! I will probably pick 3 up too and host some more RB parties when I do. :)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 21, 2010, 02:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Truthfully though the hardcore metal tracks at the end of the game, I really can't stand those. I like Metallica but have grown out of the metal some time ago. So trying to get through those tracks to complete the game is a bit like pulling teeth for me. But being able to download from the 1000s of tracks available online is awesome! I will probably pick 3 up too and host some more RB parties when I do. :)
Yeah, I could do without Visions.
In fact, I'd PAY for Visions not to show up in any of my setlists.
Old June 21, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Yeah, I could do without Visions.
In fact, I'd PAY for Visions not to show up in any of my setlists.
I'll gladly play the guitar part, drums on the other hand....
Code:
<firebane> slightly used