Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2010, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technokat View Post
My 360 controller works fine. Its similar to mario kart yes, but it has a lot more depth than mariokart ever had. mariokart plays really slow compared to blur. And doesnt have as much tactical depth. If you want to judge a book by its cover then yes its mario kart, just like every shooter is wolfenstein. God forbid on evolution of a concept.
I'm sorry but TACTICAL DEPTH? You seem to be trying too hard to like this game to justify your purchase. Why would I judge a book by its cover when I've already played it? To me it feels like a glorified version of mario cart.

reductio ad absurdum technokat, maybe you should look that up before calling two games the same because of their fundamental playing methods. Gamers will always welcome innovative and fun features with welcome arms, but having to pay twice for the same shit is not. Hey bad company 2 plays like MW2 in slow motion, but why is it successful? Because it brought something different to the market.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old May 31, 2010, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

for me personally i still like Burnout paradise. Though i can't wait try out mod nation racers :)
Old May 31, 2010, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I still love burnout paradise. The mindlessness of it is a refresher in an industry of reality sims

Zephyranthes

Old May 31, 2010, 01:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Spouting Latin isn't going to endear me to your way of thinking. You are biased against it. And you have your right to be. But considering almost every review of the game has it ABOVE split second, i will sit content that i made the right choice.

Old May 31, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

IGN: Blur
vs
IGN: Split/Second

Blur for PlayStation 3 - News, Reviews, Previews, Trailers, Screenshots & Cheats - G4tv.com
vs
Split/Second for PC - News, Reviews, Previews, Trailers, Screenshots & Cheats - G4tv.com

Metacritics has S/S and Blur at comparable scores, while the User score for S/S is miles ahead of Blur.

Also the latin is a concise way of identifying fallacies. It's used to point out holes in your argument, not to teach you latin.

Zephyranthes

Old May 31, 2010, 02:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

yes a few have it higher, but on average it is not. Metacritic scores are higher for blur. For every argument you can always find a source for a counterpoint. Trying to force your point down someones throat by trying to be high and mighty about it and throwing Latin about isn't helping matters. I was looking to start discussion. And thats what we got. Is it the best? maybe, maybe not. Thus i made it a question, not a statement of fact. Going on about how i think it fails and i am dancing around trying to justify my purchase is just ignorant. Regarding "tactical depth", compared to Mario kart it is. Is it a hugely deep game, of course not. is it the best racer ever made? of course not. Is it one of the best so far this year? yes. Is something going to beat it? god i hope so, because it would only benefit gamers having more great games. I didn't want to belay the point that this game "owns" and everything else "blows" i was just trying to get a few people to try a game, which i think is damn fun. You want to play Mario kart, or Split second then more power too you.

Blur (pc) reviews at Metacritic.com

Split/Second (pc) reviews at Metacritic.com

Old May 31, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They both seem to personify a needed shake up to the same old racing games imo. I don't play a lot of racing games, I actually own Mario Kart Wii though, lol. I tried the S/S demo on PS3. It was alright. If there's a Blur demo on PS3 I'll check it out tonight.

Truth be told though, Blur does just look like a high octane Mario Kart. Ya it's got more spit & polish and is obviously faster, but the core is there, at least from what I have seen in vids. Whereas S/S has potential for a lot of "thread the needle" kind of moments due to major cataclysms happening around you. The S/S demo certainly gives the impression it's a one trick pony though. Something that is a shame because Blur has Activision's usual fanfare surrounding it... and considering everything I read about S/S, it's much deeper than first impressions allow.

So why do publishers do this? Why release 2 games that are directly competing with one another at the same time? It will definitely split the pie. Not many people are actually going to buy both. I guess it's the BB/FS sharing the same parking lot strategy. :\

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old May 31, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I sort of like the looks in Blur, but i want realistic handling.

Come on GT5, where are you????

-Plato
Old May 31, 2010, 04:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

it isn't supposed to be realistic handling, you are shooting damn lasers and mines for jeebus sake! :) And again yes the game looks kinda like Mario kart, that is the premise. Thus the commercial they made directly comparing it to Mario kart. Its Mario kart taken into more of a more mature setting with more balanced weapons and real vehicles. And better multiplayer options. But i digress, i am not trying to champion this game above all others, i am not a zealot :P I just purchased Split second the full game to give a working over as well. I will be the first one to say if i like it better, believe me. I have no fears of being wrong. To be continued :)

Last edited by Technokat; May 31, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old May 31, 2010, 07:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think I prefer Blur over Split Second. You literally have a "split second" to look at anything in that game. I find it a bit too fast.

However, I'd never call either the best racing game of the year They are fun arcade games though.