Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2010, 07:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Ultra slow load in game

Hello,

I recently noticed a major slow down in a game (nobody here plays), its Heroes of Might and Magic 5. To make things simple, its a TBS which has fairly low system requirements (obviously). Before (around 2 weeks ago), it would take roughly 2 seconds for the computer to play its turn (in single player mode), since then, it is closer to 30 seconds per turn. I am totally confused as to what could have changed this so dramatically.

The system is pretty much the same as it was, I might have gone back to stock speed for the summer on my CPU (down to 3.0 from 3.4). I have upgraded the catalyst drivers (to 10.5) in the middle of the problem and have not noticed a change.

Once more, I am almost sure I am overlooking something, but as usual, I have no clue as to what it is.
I have been thinking for a while about getting a SSD, would it help in such a case ? If it would, I am wondering if 60gb would be enough.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 29, 2010, 09:02 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think your best bet if you looking to save money is to defrag your harddrive, It helped me shave a few seconds in loading games
Old May 29, 2010, 11:03 AM
Banned
F@H

+1

but also there might be a setting where the A.I. may go 'slower' so you see the movements like in HOMMIII wich was one of my fav games in non first person shooter genre
Old May 29, 2010, 12:13 PM
MVP

Is it possible windows is doing something it wasnt before? try turning off any anti-virus programs, along with things like indexing, etc and see what happens then.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agafaba View Post
Is it possible windows is doing something it wasnt before? try turning off any anti-virus programs, along with things like indexing, etc and see what happens then.
Before my CPU was folding, but now I stopped for heat reasons.

As for fragmentation, it says its 0% fragmented... I have also defraged a few weeks ago.

For the AI movement speed, I have yet to meet with the AI in my case and I have not changed a thing in the options since the problem occured, but I will have a look at it.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:36 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
I recently noticed a major slow down in a game (nobody here plays), its Heroes of Might and Magic 5.
Lies! I used to play it. #3 was the best :D
Old May 30, 2010, 11:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Did you change the difficulty settings, in some games on harder difficulties the computer takes longer to think out its moves, and HOMM is an awesome game, and i still play it today.
Old May 30, 2010, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have not changed the difficulty settings, I have started another game and it works better.

So, we have some homm players on the forum ?
I also thought the 3 was the best, but the 5 is quite good too. If anyone is interested in some games, let me know.