Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Red Dead Redemption (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/32191-red-dead-redemption.html)

GregH May 17, 2010 09:06 AM

Red Dead Redemption

No thread for this game yet?
I know this is predominantly a PC forum, but the odd console game also gets a nod, and this new release from Rockstar comes out tomorrow.

Official PSN magazine gave it 10/10:
News: Red Dead Redemption review: 10/10 in Official PlayStation Magazine - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

NY Times also raved about it, calling it a tour de force:
Video Game Review - ‘Red Dead Redemption’ Brings Old West to Life - NYTimes.com

This may just be the game that persuades me to finally get a gold live subscription as the open multiplayer sounds fantastic.

DK2 May 17, 2010 10:14 AM

Looks good, but I'll wait for the PC version, I heard it was coming later this year.

SKYMTL May 17, 2010 10:23 AM

I can't find the article off the top of my head but there were several claims from Editors that Rockstar tried to bribe several of the larger publications with ad dollars if they reviewed this game positively. As such, there is no way in hell I will read the reviews nor buy this game.

SKYMTL May 17, 2010 10:37 AM

Found it:

Lads' mag editor blows whistle on video games | News.com.au

thorn May 17, 2010 11:13 AM

I agree with Sky, I seem to recall hearing it wasn't that great as well as that guy getting fired.

MrDiaz May 17, 2010 12:13 PM

Well the game does LOOK to be pretty amazing honestly. I have yet to try it but the concept, and the videos I've seen from the gameplay around the web are breath-taking. I can only hope they port this to the PC!

GregH May 17, 2010 01:24 PM

I looked that article up after you mentioned it and I didn't see anything too surprising there.
I'm sure that's been going on for years. It's one of the reasons I never take reviews from Gamespot, IGN etc seriously.
That kind of thing isn't a deal breaker for me anyway.

According to wikipedia there's no PC version currently in development, so it's PS3/360 only

DkRk May 17, 2010 01:24 PM

I've been waiting a considerable time for a 'good' game set in the Wild West, and this could finally be it. My only concern is whether it does indeed make it onto the PC, and if it does, will it have terrible porting issues like Rockstar's last couple forays.

DK2 May 18, 2010 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDiaz (Post 379237)
Well the game does LOOK to be pretty amazing honestly. I have yet to try it but the concept, and the videos I've seen from the gameplay around the web are breath-taking. I can only hope they port this to the PC!

I figure they will port to PC, its GTA IV all over again, spring xbox/ps3, December PC.
RDR uses the same RAGE engine and Euphoria animation engine as GTA IV.
Plus R* Toronto did the PC port for GTA IV, did a pretty good job, so it should be easy enough to do it again.

MrDiaz May 18, 2010 06:04 AM

Yup let's keep our eyes for when they announce the move!