Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2007, 11:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Empire Earth 3 and CoH:Opposing fronts

I picked up these two games today- I almost grabbed Hellagate, but changed my mind at the last moment. I regret it!

EE3 is a total disappointment, even though I didn't love the previous installments- I've been getting away from the RTS games lately, and I thought- hey- why not try a new one for the hell of it. Anyway, they didn't try very hard on this one- childish unsophisticated cartoony graphics- oversimplified gameplay once you figure out how to actually get playing as there is a very wierd turn based thing that I haven't figured out yet between boards- it's a combination of your run-of-the-mill, tired old RTS and RISK, the board game.

CoH is a great game, but I though this new installment might be more interesting as it is stand alone and doen't require the original to install- i thought that since all that programming was there that they'd do more different things, but not really- pretty much your run of the mill expansion pack with a couple of new campaigns- at least it's built on a really good game.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; November 12, 2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old November 11, 2007, 01:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Original Empire Earth was great. Those 8-hour games were classic. Didn't like the sequel at all, though.
Old November 11, 2007, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CoH released a 137 MB patch on the freeking release day! and since then there have been two others- the last of which fixes a serious problem with Quad Cores- I've spent the last 24hrs thinking my CPU was trying to go be with jesus- BSOD with "hardware failure" messages- and the continued when t he game wasn't even playing. So now I have to download over 150MB of patches one my damned dial-up if I want t play it this weekend.
Old November 11, 2007, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah the original EE was good but the other ones all suck.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 12, 2007, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Welp, got EE3. I actually liked the second installment, although it wasn't without its flaws. We'll see how this one goes.

So now I'll just be downloading the 365 MB v1.1 patch...
Old November 12, 2007, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Didn't check the reviews first, either, huh?

More griefs: Horrible unit group movement- units just warp through objects, and siege onagers and boats are impossible to work with. The only easy part about them is that when you unload transports they just warp their payload to shore from miles out which is an obvious workaround that they had to do to overcome the infuriating bumbling of these larger units. If they had to actually touch shore to unload- you'd never retreive your men from them- they'd cannibalize each other at sea first :-}

Building palcement- not intuative- all sorts of barriers in the way including territory, terrain, proximity to other structures, and other more mysterious reason- very frustrating when your trying to build a concentration of defensive towers.

I suppose it's possible that the humoungous patch might have fixed some of these issues, but i can't DL the damned thing from here with my connection. I hate these huge updates. [end rant]
Old November 12, 2007, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
More griefs: Horrible unit group movement- units just warp through objects, and siege onagers and boats are impossible to work with. The only easy part about them is that when you unload transports they just warp their payload to shore from miles out which is an obvious workaround that they had to do to overcome the infuriating bumbling of these larger units. If they had to actually touch shore to unload- you'd never retreive your men from them- they'd cannibalize each other at sea first :-}

Building palcement- not intuative- all sorts of barriers in the way including territory, terrain, proximity to other structures, and other more mysterious reason- very frustrating when your trying to build a concentration of defensive towers.
Just like Empire Earth 2, huh?

The patch release notes seem to mention a lot of that stuff. I'm going to hold off playing until I install it, I think. 200 MB downloaded so far...