Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   EA to charge $10 for playing a used game. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/31986-ea-charge-10-playing-used-game.html)

LaughingCrow May 11, 2010 10:35 AM

EA to charge $10 for playing a used game.

More proof we don't own any software, it's all rental and the rent is going up. Trying to squeeze every nickle they can...

Add in the cost of any DLC that was 'free' to the original purchaser, it's likely to put a dent in the used software market.

EA Sports to charge $10 to play used games online

MrDiaz May 11, 2010 10:53 AM

Lol "WE WANT MORE MONEY, MORE PLEASE"

Babrbarossa May 11, 2010 10:55 AM

The next step I suppose is making it so you can't rent or buy used DVDs without paying some developer and unlocking some passcode.

I can't imagine how the proliferation of digital rights management tools that are being implemented aren't finally hurting sales- largely because the increasingly complicated maze of hoops you need to jump through, additional passwords to keep track of, and plugins/updates to download (combined with the errors). Using the media legally is become difficult to navigate- and a crap shoot as to whether you'll even be succesfful at using the media. It's enough to make people decide that activiites like gaming, or reading e-books are not worth doing.

Full Speed May 11, 2010 11:25 AM

Just when I thought EA was getting less evil. :sad:

rapmaster May 11, 2010 11:30 AM

sigh, I guess EA's sports games are off of my purchase list. It's a shame they hold the exclusive licence of NFL. If publishers continue this trend, I won't have any games to buy.

FiXT May 11, 2010 11:39 AM

What annoys me, is that despite numerous and very public court rulings striking down the software developers notion that a buyer is only a licensee, so many companies continue to employ this tactic.

You can't get much more clear than Vernor vs Autodesk.

Full Speed May 11, 2010 11:44 AM

A lot of the people who buy EA sports titles are casual gamers too, and chances of them knowing something like this is are very slim. Trapping them into spending the $10 really.

My brother always buys last year's EA sports games used and he just got into online gaming. People like that are exactly who they're trying to screw.

Perineum May 11, 2010 12:31 PM

It's odd how as time goes on I feel that piracy feels like the only way to fight back.

It was always having the CD/DVD in the drive that pissed me off most back in the day, I always used no cd cracks. Punkbuster ended that, but now I can use Steam anyway.

LaughingCrow May 11, 2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiXT (Post 376510)

You can't get much more clear than Vernor vs Autodesk.

I remember reading a bit about that way back when. So I had to look it up. Here's the wiki on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor_v._Autodesk,_Inc.

But the bad news is, that AutoCad is appealing the case
(along with some others of the same genre). But the EFF is jumping on board.

You Bought It, You Own It: Vernor v. Autodesk | Electronic Frontier Foundation

One of those cases actually is the reverse of the initial Vernor vs Autodesk, where Blizzard is still considered the owner:
"In MDY Indus. LLC v. Blizzard Entmít, Inc.,2 the district court held that purchasers of Blizzardís World of Warcraft software are not owners of their copies of the software, and hence are not entitled to a Section 117 defense that would allow the owner of a copy of a computer program to make a copy of the program, provided such copy is created as an essential step in the utilization of the program."

This is something to be watched as it unfolds.

There is a worrisome element to this attitude with installed software, particularly games with DRM. If the new version of Bill C-61 goes through, I wonder how that will be interpreted if you try to remove the game and the DRM. I just went through this with Mass Effect 1 and 2 - the SecuROM removal tool wouldn't remove it. I found a way to do it and at least get rid of it from the Registry, but eventually decided to reformat and install Windows to be sure SecuRom was gone. So would I be guilty under the upcoming regulations for removing the DRM? (I still think there's reason to believe that some DRM still resides as a Rootkit, but don't know enough about it yet.)

Digikid May 11, 2010 01:50 PM

Well EA knows where they can shove it.,......