Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 20, 2010, 12:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Mixed feelings, but ultimately I don't buy it. Granted, every used game sale is money that EA never sees, yet they're still expected to provide online connectivity for it? On the other hand, if the originally person has kept the game, EA would still be providing that connectivity, so there's no net loss there.
I think that if you're not going to provide support for your product, whoever owns it after it was sold is sloppy business. You sell the game for $20, that's what you got out of it. You can't just expect people to stop playing it after a while and not have to support it. Whether the original owner or someone it gets sold to consistently plays online is still that one copy being utilized, not second copy, or anything else that requires more from EA. They're just being lazy now.
I was glad to get out of console gaming when it started going online. All at the manufacturer's whims..
Old May 20, 2010, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Damn man, excellent post. Couldn't have said it better.
Thank you, I aim to please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I would imagine Valve makes a good amount from Steam, and they continue to support their games partially because they don't exactly release that many.

Blizzard is in the same boat, they just milk the cash cow that is WoW, from what I have heard some of the expansions add very little and still cost 'full' price. And who knows what will happen if Activision gets more involved.
You said it. It's very difficult to compare companies like Ubisoft or EA with Activision and Valve. There's a reason why SC2 and D3 can take 5-10 years to make. It's called WoW. Millions of people paying $15/month for the same old game is a wet dream for pretty much any game executive. And yes Valve has Steam. These companies can take as long as they want to bring new products to market and support their full catalogues because they have constant cash flow. Other companies have to constantly bring new products to market resulting in cut down features, generic gameplay, unrealistic deadlines for devs and of course lack of support for the back catalogue.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old May 28, 2010, 07:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I wouldn't buy used period. I buy it NEW when it's 2 years old (from steam) to get it at the price I want.

I can't imagine buying a used boxed game to save $2 to $5
Yup and steam has regular sales on older games as well. Saves the hassle.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:24 AM
MVP

I only game on the PC and I have not bought a used PC game in years, so this won't affect me. I absolutely aggree that XBOX owners who pay money simply to play online should not have to pay 10 dollars because the game is used. What the hell is their XBOX live subscription for?
Old May 30, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
I only game on the PC and I have not bought a used PC game in years, so this won't affect me. I absolutely aggree that XBOX owners who pay money simply to play online should not have to pay 10 dollars because the game is used. What the hell is their XBOX live subscription for?
Sony is going to a tiered system as well with PSN. They say that current PSN service will not change for non paying subscribers... but I find that hard to believe as what would be the motivation to start paying a fee if you can continue to do everything you did before at no cost? They named some new features like cloud saves and I can't recall exactly what else, but nothing sounded amazing enough to motivate me to pay for them.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old May 31, 2010, 12:39 AM
MVP

maybe i should buy a ps3.

This kind of reminds me when I bought rainbow six vegas 2 for pc, the bugs they had with the anti-piracy (securom) wouldn't even let me play the game.

Was quite choked.