Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Strange Rundll32.exe (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/31908-strange-rundll32-exe.html)

TheWanderer May 9, 2010 07:07 PM

Strange Rundll32.exe

Hi, I have Windows 7 32bit installed.
I noticed that games like UT2004 and Diablo 2 don't start up at the first click, even though the processor is at 50% load(one core out of two). The task manager shows that Rundll32.exe is using it.
When I click the game icon the second time, the game starts, with the rundll32 process continuing. Funnily enough, when I end the rundll32 process, the game continues to work just fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

thorn May 9, 2010 07:32 PM

maybe it has something to do with compatibility. Though my brother has had no problem playing D2 on Win 7 64-bit. Have you checked for viruses/spyware?

TheWanderer May 10, 2010 03:54 AM

Hmmmm... On the other computer D2 works without a problem.(Windows 7 64bit).
A full virus scan by Avast 5 showed nothing. I am running the game in XP SP3 compatibility mode.

TimTheEnchanter May 10, 2010 05:14 AM

Have you simply tried reinstalling the game and check if the same error seems to appear?

thorn May 10, 2010 07:38 AM

Hmm, I think my sister has D2 installed on her laptop which is running Win 7 32-bit, I'll check if she has the same problem.

clone63 May 10, 2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWanderer (Post 375723)
Funnily enough,

That is quite funerous.

Has this happened since you installed the game or some thing that started recently?
If so, try a reinstall.

thorn May 10, 2010 11:39 AM

well on my sister's laptop (win7 32 bit) I had no trouble firing up D2 LoD. rundll32.exe was using 0% processor. She is running version 1.12 possibly with a mod if that makes a difference.

TheWanderer May 10, 2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clone63 (Post 375985)
Has this happened since you installed the game or some thing that started recently?
If so, try a reinstall.

It started since I installed the game.

I'll try reinstalling later. My laptop's CD drive doesn't work, so I have to connect it to the other computer using a LAN cable.:ph34r:

thorn May 10, 2010 09:25 PM

Why don't you just download the self extracting installer from Blizzard. If you register your keys with Blizzard you gain access to a digital copy of the game. No CD drive required.

m1dget May 10, 2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWanderer (Post 375723)
Hi, I have Windows 7 32bit installed.
I noticed that games like UT2004 and Diablo 2 don't start up at the first click, even though the processor is at 50% load(one core out of two). The task manager shows that Rundll32.exe is using it.
When I click the game icon the second time, the game starts, with the rundll32 process continuing. Funnily enough, when I end the rundll32 process, the game continues to work just fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Well that's probably just another "fun" windows moment that just hit you...

The application you've started must have loaded a corrupted dll file with rundll32 to run it and now it's locking up completely a thread and you can't do anything about it unless killing it by hand or letting the windows scheduler handle it on its own (good luck on that).

If you are willing to do it and if I'm right, you could try to find out what dll file is screwing up and fix it by replacing it.

Again, I might be wrong, windows is not my specialty. :whistle: