Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2010, 06:53 PM
MVP
F@H

Default SecuRom and Rootkits Question

I ran into an unexpected problem and luckily figured a way out, but wanted input.

Here's what happened.

Picked up Crysis: Warhead (20.00)
Researched it out and found out it has SecuRom in it. Wasn't too happy finding that, AFTER after I bought it, but that's my fault for not researching it out properly.

So on SecuRom's site I read where they don't install a Rootkit:
"There is no rootkit in SecuROMô. Our understanding is that there is one rootkit detector that incorrectly flags SecuROMô as containing a rootkit. This is an incorrect detection by one software program. To our knowledge, no other rootkit detectors do so."

So, I downloaded the patch for Crysis and the so-called SecuRom removal tool.

I did a full image backup (Windows 7) to drive D

Installed the game (firewall/virus checker noted a trojan on install - probably detecting the DRM/Rootkit)
Installed the patch.

The graphics were exceptional. But I wasn't happy with remapping the keyboard for a lefty. (Mass Effect 1 & 2 worked out pretty good). So reluctantly, I shut down the machine, rebooted with the Win 7 repair disk and used the recent backup to restore drive C:

Except, on reboot - (one beep from the m/b) the system started from the BIOS screen (showed the drives, etc. as normal) and scrolled a bit then just hung - nothing. Waited, nothing. Tried that several times, hung in the same place. Attempted again, trying to go into the BIOS - still hung on the same spot.

On a weird hunch, I yanked out Drive C: and replaced it with an identical spare drive. With the Windows 7 repair disk still in the DVD, I rebooted. NO PROBLEM. Restored the backup and rebooted back into Windows exactly as it was before I had installed Crysis -- except it for the loss of time from whatever Crysis installed on the drive.

My guess is that SecuRom DOES plant a Rootkit or at least messes up the boot sector that prevented the original C: drive from rebooting after using the Windows repair disk to restore a backup.

1) Anyone have a similar problem?

2) Anyone know if this was a RootKit for certain or something else that SecuRom does? I think they are lying on their website.

3) Can I expect that reformatting the original messed up drive C: will clear out whatever problem I got from SecuRom?

Maybe if I had uninstalled the game and used the SecuRom removal tool, that might have fixed it, but I doubt it. This whole DRM nonsense really bugs me.
Old April 16, 2010, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe it was your removal tool that messed things up. I can't see SecuRom itself being the issue.The quote you mentioned said only ONE program detects SecuRom as containing a rootkit, is it the program that you have? I'm thinking maybe your AV was detecting a trojan or malware from the removaltool. Maybe not though cause yo usaid it picked it up during install of the game itself and not the patch... Never experienced such a thing.
Old April 16, 2010, 07:27 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Maybe it was your removal tool that messed things up. I can't see SecuRom itself being the issue.The quote you mentioned said only ONE program detects SecuRom as containing a rootkit, is it the program that you have? I'm thinking maybe your AV was detecting a trojan or malware from the removaltool. Maybe not though cause yo usaid it picked it up during install of the game itself and not the patch... Never experienced such a thing.
Never used the Removal Tool or uninstalled - thought that the Backup image would restore it to the original state..

The quote was from SecuRom's website. I have no idea which RootKit detector they are talking about and I didn't run any - I took them at their word that it didn't install a RootKit (SecuRom, BTW is a division of SONY - well noted for Rootkits)
Old April 16, 2010, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't doubt that there may be a rootkit included with securom because I thought thats actually what they did was stick it on your computer and it was there for good until you formatted, but I just can't understand why it would cause any corruption to any windows files not allowing it to boot. Where exactly does the machine start hanging during boot?
Old April 16, 2010, 08:17 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
I don't doubt that there may be a rootkit included with securom because I thought thats actually what they did was stick it on your computer and it was there for good until you formatted, but I just can't understand why it would cause any corruption to any windows files not allowing it to boot. Where exactly does the machine start hanging during boot?
Not a very good image but this is where it hangs after the initial bootup:

Old April 17, 2010, 01:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I can't see securom causing that one, try setitng achi to ide? the drive might be having some issues too try error checking it on another computer.