Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2007, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
I have been playing betas and demos for 20 years and this was by far the worst. After all the hoopla I give this a 2/5.
I tried (and yes I mean tried) to play this with the rig in specs and it was horrid. Bioshock had better playablility and the graphics are not anything spectacular..incredible disappointment
Thank god I'm not the only one!
Old October 29, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Heh, I usually wait for the game to come in the full version, actually this is my third demo that I've played. I've downloaded it because everyone is like OMG, CRYSIS DEMO....People sometimes exaggerate..
Old October 29, 2007, 04:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtf View Post
Heh, I usually wait for the game to come in the full version, actually this is my third demo that I've played. I've downloaded it because everyone is like OMG, CRYSIS DEMO....People sometimes exaggerate..
jsut fineshed the demo got 50-70 fps on my 7600gt overclocked lol at medium settings only pushed 20-30 on high and thats with alais off. didnt kno this rig could handle shit like that
Old October 29, 2007, 04:56 PM
Top Prospect

I played the demo, and it took a little getting used to as far as the suit powers go - I like them, though, and the fact that they didn't make the game revolve around the suit powers. Remember, in FarCry, you had no "powers" at all - just guts and determination (and make sure you save often)

This game makes a point of telling you NOT to engage the enemy! If you do, then they call in re-enforcements and overpower you by sheer numbers. This is the same as in FarCry - it encourages you to use the binoculars before you go into a "hot" area - you have to make a plan before you go into action. You can't just run in "guns a blazin'" in this game and expect to survive.

And if you want to kill a guy in a couple of shots, then change the rate of fire of the gun from rapid fire to single shot (you have to press the mouse button every shot) and aim for the head and you will get amazing results - I was able to get 2-3 shot kills from pretty far away using single shot firing mode. Quite a few head shots too.

As far as settings go, I set it at 1280x1024 with AAx2 and AFx2 and everything else on medium and it runs at about 45-60 fps - I am using the newest drivers to date (169.01 beta Nvidia drivers) which seem to be the bomb because I've also just broke the 10K milestone in my 3dMark06 score with these drivers! Lots of info for optimizing games and your system at TweakGuides.com

I like this game and I expect it will be even get better as more advanced drivers come out and the game gets more refined before and after release.
i7-860 @ 4.2Ghz (1.33v) EVGA P55 FTW SLI (E657-A51 Bios) Thermalright ULTRA-120 Trueblack Rev.C G.Skill Ripjaws 4G DDR3-2000 Antec 850W TPQ 2xBFG GTX280 1G SLI Acer X263W 25.5" LCD Crucial C4 256G WD FAEX 1TB LG DVDRAM GH20NS10 Thermaltake Kandalf case Windows 7 Pro x64

E8400 @ 3.96Ghz (1.42v) EVGA 780i A1 (P08) ZalmanCNPS9700NT G.Skill 4G DDR2-1000 eVGA GTX280SC 1G Windows 7 Pro x64 1xSeagate Barracuda 7200.11 500G
Old October 29, 2007, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekOldschool View Post
I played the demo, and it took a little getting used to as far as the suit powers go - I like them, though, and the fact that they didn't make the game revolve around the suit powers. Remember, in FarCry, you had no "powers" at all - just guts and determination (and make sure you save often)

This game makes a point of telling you NOT to engage the enemy! If you do, then they call in re-enforcements and overpower you by sheer numbers. This is the same as in FarCry - it encourages you to use the binoculars before you go into a "hot" area - you have to make a plan before you go into action. You can't just run in "guns a blazin'" in this game and expect to survive.

And if you want to kill a guy in a couple of shots, then change the rate of fire of the gun from rapid fire to single shot (you have to press the mouse button every shot) and aim for the head and you will get amazing results - I was able to get 2-3 shot kills from pretty far away using single shot firing mode. Quite a few head shots too.

As far as settings go, I set it at 1280x1024 with AAx2 and AFx2 and everything else on medium and it runs at about 45-60 fps - I am using the newest drivers to date (169.01 beta Nvidia drivers) which seem to be the bomb because I've also just broke the 10K milestone in my 3dMark06 score with these drivers! Lots of info for optimizing games and your system at TweakGuides.com

I like this game and I expect it will be even get better as more advanced drivers come out and the game gets more refined before and after release.
Yah I'm going to start the game from fresh as my save point puts me in the middle of a hornets nest :( and I have absolutely found that engaging even one enemy or letting one loud bullet off will bring them running REALLY damn fast.
Old October 29, 2007, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default good tips

but its kind of fun finding a good hiding hole making lots of noise and mowing them down

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old October 29, 2007, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just finished downloading the game and played it for a while on low settings because my system is a p4 3ghz with a x800 agp card but the game seems ok but I am thinking that is because of the low settings at these settings I get no lagg or any other problems at all playing.
Old October 29, 2007, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can kill every enemy in the demo except for that stupid jet that flies over. You can run an gun but you have to switch to cloak and hide sometimes to regain your health. Plus the one ammo type (hit x to scroll through firring types) that fires a sleeping dart comes in handy. Plus it has unlimited ammo.

I am confident that they will patch the game and do more optimizing. Usually they leave the optimizing at the end of the programming. So there is still hope.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 29, 2007, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

ugh now this game is giving me another error.

I'll try to start it and get a BSOD on the cmuda3.sys file which is for my hda explosion and have to repair the audio drivers for it to load again and have to do this one every 3 loads.

** UPDATE **

Seems you can get "Very High" settings in XP :D
DX 10 Features in Windows XP - MUST SEE

Last edited by enaberif; October 29, 2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old November 1, 2007, 10:26 AM
Top Prospect

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibs View Post
I'm sorry but I just would not be able to call a game amazing if I have to play it at 20FPS. That is simply not fast enough to even be able to play a first person shooter properly. I didn't expect my PC to be able to run it properly but when guys with 8800GTXs can't even get over 30FPS then whats the point.
I totally agree with you 100%.

If I buy this game, I'm going to play it now, not 2 years from now.

How is someone supposed to enjoy a game that runs at ~20fps on high-end hardware? And having to wait for next-gen video cards? Forget about it!

<- Not happy.
PAN: IBM Thinkpad T42 | Pentium M @ 1.77 GHz | 1GB DDR-333 | 40GB HDD | DVD-/+RW | ATi Radeon 7500.
[Server]
ZEUS: Dell Optiplex G150 | Intel PIII 1 GHz | 512GB SDRAM | 500GB HDD.