Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2007, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

I am currently going through Bioshock and i ain't really impressed :(

I mean, even the graphics don't look that great to me. On the other hand, S.T.A.L.K.E.R is one hell of a game. Just like you said, first time i launched the game, i couldn't stop playing it. In 2-3 days i had finished the game which has not happened in the last few years! I mean i didn't gamed a lot these last 2 years. And each and every single players games i played weren't finished in 2 days. It would take me weeks to finish it.
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old October 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriote View Post
I am currently going through Bioshock and i ain't really impressed :(

I mean, even the graphics don't look that great to me. On the other hand, S.T.A.L.K.E.R is one hell of a game. Just like you said, first time i launched the game, i couldn't stop playing it. In 2-3 days i had finished the game which has not happened in the last few years! I mean i didn't gamed a lot these last 2 years. And each and every single players games i played weren't finished in 2 days. It would take me weeks to finish it.
Its one of those things where you can't please everyone.

I thought the visuals, music, and character development in Bioshock was great but Stalker I couldn't stand playing.
Old October 28, 2007, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default ok

with the latest drivers and divx update...set to high mainly, sound + posttprocessing medium no AA...much better

I have no idea what it must look like maxed out if its this good on high.

This a very tense, atmospheric game when it runs well. If the game plays like this on these settings im buying it.

I also thought bioshock was very good but they needed to develop the storyline a bit more and let you create your powers, it had so much more potential.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old October 28, 2007, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What are you guys talking about. I played it on normal @ all high settings 4x AA @ 1-24 x 768 smooth enough. sure I get a few slow downs here and there but the game looks amazing and the physics is amazing. Plus even on low the game still looks good enough(still better than Farcry). Plus it is a one shot kill to the head and enemies aren't that hard. Just don't shoot them in the foot or through palm trees. I loved the demo because it is a lot like farcry and I use the nano suite a lot. There is so much little details like killing birds, picking up turtles and crabs then throwing at the enemies. Then picking up a pillow that does basically no damage to enemies. Picking up enemies and using them as shields. Deforestation, ramping vehicles and boats. Doing random stuff with the physics engine. Like I spent a couple hours fooling around and about a half hour trying to get as high as I could.

Personally the games isnt "The best game of all time" but I will enjoy it. If you love farcry you will love this game. Plus aim for the head and not the chest cause they have body amour.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 28, 2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriote View Post
WHAT! Lost Planet played in DX10 does bring any hardware to it's knees... Or so.
Well, the ironic part of your comment is that DX10 games bring hardware to its' knees. Allow me to take that comment with a grain of salt.

My roommate has a similar spec to my system, except he has XP 32-bit, 2GB of RAM, and an 8800GTS 640MB. The game still took his hardware for a ride, regardless of the DirectX version.

You need to re-think your logic on the way DirectX works.
Old October 28, 2007, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

I used the silencer and went into the mode that you can have better aim with the rifle, I climbed up on a place where I had a straight shot at the enemy using the total strength thing and I couldn't kill him..it took me over 10 bullets, and I don't suck at fps :/
I think that this game is too overrated...

Last edited by omgwtf; October 28, 2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old October 28, 2007, 09:17 PM
Top Prospect

I had trouble running the demo as well (Q6600/8800GTX). It seemed to me that it ran a hell of a lot better on DX9 than it did on DX10. Everything cranked at 1920x1200 DX10 and I was getting less than 10 FPS! I know it is silly to expect to be able to run properly with settings that high but I had to move to low/medium settings before I could get above 30 FPS.

Hopefully they will optimize the game further before it is actually released? Maybe everyone will just have to play using DX9 for a while. As for the gameplay, it wasn't anything special. Depending on how the multiplayer turns out, I may end up getting CoD4 insted.
Old October 29, 2007, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Let's see what the full version is gonna look like..
Old October 29, 2007, 01:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I guess I'll have to get 2 Ultra's or something, maybe a smaller screen? I thought the gameplay was very fun, and hard. Crank the difficulty up, and you've got to be very stealthy, as well as conserve ammo. My heart was pounding througout the whole demo.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old October 29, 2007, 02:27 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have been playing betas and demos for 20 years and this was by far the worst. After all the hoopla I give this a 2/5.
I tried (and yes I mean tried) to play this with the rig in specs and it was horrid. Bioshock had better playablility and the graphics are not anything spectacular..incredible disappointment