Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2010, 06:06 AM
MVP
F@H

Default Need suggestions....

First of all, I never really liked FPS games, I'm more RPG like Final Fantasy games for example... one of my best is Final Fantasy X. I bought FF XIII on the PS3 and was really disappointed by the game. It's not really RPG anymore

I also like RTS games like Civ 4...

So I'm looking on something good on PS3 or PC... what is the trend now?
Old March 31, 2010, 09:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah I was disappointed in FF13 as well. I heard it opens up near the end but I doubt I'll get there. It'll probably be the first main-series FF I won't beat. Sadly there hasn't been much in the way of good JRPGs this generation. The only one I enjoyed so far is Lost Odyssey, but that's a 360 exclusive. FPS is definitely the trend now, but like you I don't have a whole lot of interest in them (still play the odd one though).

The PC/PS3 games I enjoyed the most in the last few years were God of War 3, Batman: AA, and Portal.
If you liked the progression of old Metroid and Castlevania games then you'll probably love Batman: AA. Feels like a modern Super Metroid with an awesome Batman story.
God of War 3 is just flat out fun and the scale of some of the scenes will set you back a step. If you like action games and only play through games once you should only rent it though. Took me about 10 hours and it doesn't have as many extras as the other two games.
Portal is a bit old now, but it's a short, fun, first person puzzle game. Worth it if you haven't played it yet. Second one is on the way too.

If you liked the old NES/SNES Zelda games 3D Dot Game Heroes looks pretty cool.

On the western RPG front I heard Mass Effect 1/2 and Dragon Age are awesome. Personally I only played a little of the first Mass Effect but it seems great.
Old March 31, 2010, 09:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you are looking for RPG's, I'll vouch for both Mass Effects and Dragon Age: Origins. Amazing games. Bioware is head of the class in producing great RPG's, IMHO.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
If you are looking for RPG's, I'll vouch for both Mass Effects and Dragon Age: Origins. Amazing games. Bioware is head of the class in producing great RPG's, IMHO.
I agree with SugarJ. If you like the J-RPGs maybe check out The Last Remnant. I only played the demo which was pretty short but it seems to have interesting features.
Old March 31, 2010, 05:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Dragon Age: Origins was amazing, especially on the PC. The mods you could get for that game were/are fantastic.

Mass Effect was fun, as well. Didn't play the first one (been trying to hunt down a cheap copy), but I love the second one (especially with the free DLCs).

For RTS, I'd recommend Empire Total War + Napoleon Total War. You'll love that game, especially if you get a kick out of watching massive armies battling it out on open field.

Old March 31, 2010, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Agree with all the posts above. Also Resonance of Fate looks pretty cool too for a JRPG. Combat is a lot different than what you are probably used to which could be good or bad depending on your taste.

I think genres we are used to (RTS/RPG) are getting revamped nowadays to reach a broader audience. Hence C&C4, DoW2, FFXIII etc... But the Total War series is pretty strong for RTS and the nods to Dragon Age and Mass Effect seem well deserved.

Edit:

Here's a good ROF review and compares it a bit to FFXIII.
Resonance of Fate Review | Eurogamer

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 31, 2010, 06:04 PM
Allstar

Well if you loved ffX... have you tried the previous ones? Nothing new but ff IX, VII, VI and Tactics were pretty much appreciated by the community...

Old March 31, 2010, 06:37 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Well if you loved ffX... have you tried the previous ones? Nothing new but ff IX, VII, VI and Tactics were pretty much appreciated by the community...
Yeah in fact I felt in love with FF games since FFII on the SNES! Nevertheless, I was more into something new beause I don't have games on my PS3 yet (buyed it for a blu-ray player) and was disappointed after all the waiting of FFXIII.........
Old March 31, 2010, 07:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

You havent lived until you fought the WarMech/Death Machine on the bridge in FF1. :D
Old April 1, 2010, 06:11 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
You havent lived until you fought the WarMech/Death Machine on the bridge in FF1. :D
I was pretty young when FFI was released on the NES, I played it, but it was hard and didn't understand english at that age so I never completed it.