Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2010, 07:32 PM
Top Prospect

Exclamation Metro 2033 Performance in question??

So I have been playing around with this game for a couple of days now. And I am really wondering what the diff between DX9 and DX10? Because it seems you can still enable V.High settings while running in DX9.
I don't see any DX10 features that you can't have in DX9. Or is there something I am missing
I remember reading a article last week on this game from the head graphic guy that created this game. He was saying something to the effect that if you run the game in DX10 mode instead of DX9, you will get the same settings as DX9, But also run the game with faster performance? Now I don't see this happening at all?

"Oles Shishkovstov: Yes, Metro supports DX9 too, and we've put a lot of effort to provide features which are usually considered as being DX10+ exclusive. For example soft particles are available in DX9 as well, but other implementations usually need DX10-level hardware to do it."

And he says that DX11 will look exactly the same as DX10

"Oles Shishkovstov: If you disable DX11 specific effects, you should get exactly the same picture as in DX10 code-path. The only difference will be performance gain."

Here is the rest of the article,

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,7...tro-2033/News/

When I run it in DX9 over DX10 mode, I get a 8-10 FPS boost in performance while running in DX9. So why would I want to take a almost 10 FPS hit just for enabling DX10 in the settings when it clearly does not add any DX10 exclusive features (according to the article)?
Does anyone else see a reason to run this game in DX10 instead of DX9?
I am not commenting on DX11 features or performance. I am sure there is Differences running in DX11 over DX10 or DX9. But for this post, Please keep comments geared towards running it in either DX10 or DX9 mode Via In game Video settings.
I really wish you could enable specific graphic settings instead of just having presets like High, V.High.
Has anybody found a way to enable or disable graphic specific settings like you can do in most games?
From V.high to High, A lot of graphic settings get turned off or way down when going fro V.high to High. Why is there no in between?
Maybe I am reading this article wrong? Please someone help clear this up!
Cheers
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old March 22, 2010, 07:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

There are differences. DoF is calculated via compute shaders, lighting is more accurate (especially the shadows cast by lights), the monsters have much better definition....I could go on and on.
Old March 22, 2010, 08:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
And he says that DX11 will look exactly the same as DX10
No, he said that if you turn off all the DX11 features, the game will look the same on a DX11 card as it would on a DX10 card. BIG difference.
Old March 23, 2010, 12:43 AM
Top Prospect

I am not sure if my question got properly con-vied.
When you are in the Graphics menu, On the right hand side is a list of features that are applied with respect to the preset you select. When you select V.High (DX10), All the features except Tessellation and DOF are enabled(Those are DX11 features). Now if you select High, You will see that some features are either disabled or turned down. But...If you keep your setting at V.High, And select DX9 you will see that all the same features as DX10 are still enabled! Sorry, There is one feature that gets greyed out. Under DX9 V.High setting, MSAA or AAA is disabled.
So, Aside from MSAA and AAA, You still have every other Graphic feature enabled under DX9.
That being said, DX9=DX10 in terms of the graphic features that are enabled(Except MSAA and AAA). This is according to the list that shows which features are enabled in the graphic menu.
Now If all the graphic features are the same under DX9 and DX10, Wouldn't the image be the same?? Sure the DX9 image will not have MSAA or AAA, But you will still have all the features that DX10 has under the V.High graphic setting!
So I hope I got my point across properly. I just want someone to help figure this out. Because, If you have the same graphic settings under DX9 as in dx10 how do you get almost a 10 FPS Gain? I can only think that MSAA or AAA eats the 10 FPS.
Anyone have any comments about this now?
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old March 23, 2010, 08:46 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Just because a game is poorly optimised and runs like crap does not mean it is cutting edge. FEAR looked better than this game. MW2 looks far far better and flies on my SLI 260's. 30 fps in a cramped corridor with crappy textures, come on.
Old March 23, 2010, 09:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I don't agree. The game itself looks stunning while MW2 has loads of ugly, ugly textures and nother to make it visually different from all the other shooters out there.

Anyways, to answer your question Bushwickbill I think that the dialog box below the video options is too generalized. Supposedly there will be a patch which adds more tweakable options rather than the basic Low, Medium, High and Very High which will hopefully bring some clarity to the differences between each version.
Old March 23, 2010, 09:15 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I showed a non gamer both last night. He said M2033 looked grainy and unrealistic and then wowed at MW2.
Old March 23, 2010, 09:18 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

tim sweeny said a good looking game is half engine and half artwork, i'd say they should have spent more time on both. Just not impressed with the looks vs. performance of this game.
Old March 23, 2010, 09:27 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I showed a non gamer both last night. He said M2033 looked grainy and unrealistic and then wowed at MW2.
ear the same about STALKER . No problem with it, it's give an ambiance to the game
Old March 23, 2010, 01:03 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
I am not sure if my question got properly con-vied.
When you are in the Graphics menu, On the right hand side is a list of features that are applied with respect to the preset you select. When you select V.High (DX10), All the features except Tessellation and DOF are enabled(Those are DX11 features). Now if you select High, You will see that some features are either disabled or turned down. But...If you keep your setting at V.High, And select DX9 you will see that all the same features as DX10 are still enabled! Sorry, There is one feature that gets greyed out. Under DX9 V.High setting, MSAA or AAA is disabled.
So, Aside from MSAA and AAA, You still have every other Graphic feature enabled under DX9.
That being said, DX9=DX10 in terms of the graphic features that are enabled(Except MSAA and AAA). This is according to the list that shows which features are enabled in the graphic menu.
Now If all the graphic features are the same under DX9 and DX10, Wouldn't the image be the same?? Sure the DX9 image will not have MSAA or AAA, But you will still have all the features that DX10 has under the V.High graphic setting!
So I hope I got my point across properly. I just want someone to help figure this out. Because, If you have the same graphic settings under DX9 as in dx10 how do you get almost a 10 FPS Gain? I can only think that MSAA or AAA eats the 10 FPS.
Anyone have any comments about this now?
I suspect that although the same options may be listed, in terms of how they are accomplished in the back-end, the DX10 methods are more accurate and look better.