Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2010, 12:37 PM
Allstar

Talking Doom 3..lol

Nothing really interests me anymore. COD was a big disappointment since the game was so short...thus the installation of Doom 3.

All I can say is that it's rather archaic, linear but still gives me an uneasy chill.

Surprisingly a seamless installation in Windows 7 x64 which only required a slight change in the doomconfig to accommodate my required resolution parameters.

I'm in the process of installing the DOOM 3 DARK MOD as well and will report back.

So sit back, drink a few beers and play this game in the chill of the night. I'm sure that all of you will still experience hair raising moments.

CHEERS

Last edited by Mark; July 8, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old March 22, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Built my first computer to play this game properly with a 6800gt. Didn't run well at all on my old Dell.
Old March 22, 2010, 02:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I still don't understand why "linear" is such a bad thing? I mean there are a ton of games that aren't linear and don't interest me in the slightest or just end up being the same thing over and over but in an open world. And more often than not story takes a back seat in these open world games. So hHow is an open world the holy grail of gaming? Makes no sense to me. It's like saying choose your own adventure books pwn and anything else has no re-read value.

Having said that lol, I found Doom 3 fairly satisfying but ultimately felt too long. Suffered from some of the above actually. Same thing over and over, story took a back seat... I would have liked more levels in Hell and slightly less dark corridor/demon in closet gameplay. Atmosphere was fantastic though. It did a great job there!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 22, 2010, 03:48 PM
Allstar

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
I still don't understand why "linear" is such a bad thing? I mean there are a ton of games that aren't linear and don't interest me in the slightest or just end up being the same thing over and over but in an open world. And more often than not story takes a back seat in these open world games. So hHow is an open world the holy grail of gaming? Makes no sense to me. It's like saying choose your own adventure books pwn and anything else has no re-read value.

Having said that lol, I found Doom 3 fairly satisfying but ultimately felt too long. Suffered from some of the above actually. Same thing over and over, story took a back seat... I would have liked more levels in Hell and slightly less dark corridor/demon in closet gameplay. Atmosphere was fantastic though. It did a great job there!
Completely open environments can be tasking so I do understand your point but most of my favorite games of all time gave you a sense of more open and free environment that allowed you several options of curious adventurism. For example, Grim Fandango, Thief ( my all time favorite game that was developed my Looking Glass Studio ) was fantastic and still has an incredible loyal following. Stalker was tedious at times, but once you understand the directive of the game, it's very enjoyable. Doom feels as if your stuck in a hallway and wouldn't recommend it if you suffer from claustrophobia . One game that had allot of potential but failed in my books was Splinter Cell - a far cry from one of my other favorites - FAR CRY and Crysis. Half-life still brings back great memories as well as the second rendition of the series. I could go on but I think you see where I'm deriving my opinion from.

Cheers.

CHEERS
Old March 22, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oh I understand. I too loved Thief 1 & 2. The 3rd fell short of my expectations. I am also a HUGE HL series fan, games that by all accounts are very linear. And Far Cry is in my top 5 of all time for sure. This is where my opinion is coming from. All of my most favourite games by all accounts would be considered "linear" and it bugs me that this has become such a negative industry term. Out of all those mentioned only FC really gave a sense of an open world and even then you were still stuck to this linear progression. It's not like the game dropped you in this huge area and said "go wreak havoc" like in GTA or AC. There were a lot of corridors in FC too. And the open areas in any HL game are really just very large corridors imo.

So maybe it is just the constant space station corridors that bug you in Doom 3. And on this note I would agree. As I said it needed a bit more variety there. But the term linear always rubs me the wrong way when I hear it used to ding a point off of a good game, especially since most open world games are overrated with thin stories (imo)... there are exceptions of course.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 22, 2010, 06:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I only purchased Doom 3 in the last year or so. I loved the original games so much. Must have bet them 50 times each at least. Didn't really like playing Doom 3 on a laptop and headphones though, so I'm going to wait till I build my PC to play it (like the majority of my steam collection).

Linear games are usually some of my favorites. Usually helps focus on the plot and really draw you in. With that said too much can be bad too. I got bored of Final Fantasy XIII really fast because it just feels like a bit long tunnel that the game filters you into. Doesn't really work for a RPG imo. Seems like they played some 10 hour shooters and figured it would work for a 60-100 hour RPG. Normally JRPGs are linear but I found FFXIII too much.
Old March 22, 2010, 07:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Doom 3 scared the shit out of me early in the game and I could never finish it. One of these days I may take another stab at it, tho'.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old March 22, 2010, 08:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Doom 3 was pretty scary. I still thought the originals were scarier, and much tougher because instead of having one zombieman groan at you, ten of them would! I love the fact of having mass monsters, and I hope they bring that back to Doom 4.

But yeah linear is always awesome. As long as it's just not run and gun, like what CoD was like, and they tie in the story, I'm all for it. Open games are a little slower, and I hated Crysis.
Old March 23, 2010, 01:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can get quite a few monsters coming at you in Doom 3. I don't know how far you played, but ya at first it's only a few at a time.
Old March 23, 2010, 01:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Doom 3 was pretty scary. I still thought the originals were scarier, and much tougher because instead of having one zombieman groan at you, ten of them would! I love the fact of having mass monsters, and I hope they bring that back to Doom 4.

But yeah linear is always awesome. As long as it's just not run and gun, like what CoD was like, and they tie in the story, I'm all for it. Open games are a little slower, and I hated Crysis.
Totally agree (except for hating Crysis which I assumed was not meant to be scary).
As a huge DooM fan, I hope they bring back what you said and some of the strange secrets, hidden places/elevators and strange rooms/walls, even entire levels that serve no realistic or logical purpose but to make for a wild monster battle. I felt that although DooM3 created and captured that isolated scary atmosphere (playing in the dark at night with surround sound a must), the environment tended to try and maintain a kind of space movie realism which the originals didn't bother with.

I played Classic DooM a little while back and it was a blast to run through the first 9 old maps updated with DooM3's engine & graphics.

Looking forward to hearing how the Darl Mod works out.
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi