Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2010, 12:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
not as bad as the guys in MW2 running around with swords (speed increase + melee distance increase) killing people all over the place.

I don't care HOW good you are, it's called "MODERN Warfare", not "Ninja Warfare"...
LOL !!!!

We might have run into each other ...

I use Commando Pro + Lightweight Pro + Marathon Pro

(and my title is Backstabber...)

Old March 15, 2010, 12:32 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
If you want a game that focuses more on skill then I recommend games like ARMA 2 because games within both the Battlefield and Call of Duty Series are still quake-style shooters above all else.

Until you introduce far more complex game variables and mechanics such as environmental physics and ordnance physics, you're going to have quake-style gameplay with noob-tubing, silly melee tactics, overpowered weapons, and a myriad of other items that make you go WTF?
Hang on a tick there. What environmental phyics and ordinance physics are missing? Bullet drop is in the game, buildings falling, etc are too. Wind is not a part of the game because then it would just make sniping all but impossible. And the "overpowered" weapon is the noob tube, not much else falls that far away from realism or make the game any less fun. I.E: I can get knifed (which isn't a silly melee tactic but a sound tactic that I use on campers) or shotty'd at close range and I can accept it = it's what would happen in real life. Yes, you could say that a noob tube is also realistic, however it is to the point of being a detriment to the gameplay experience. Its also just too damn easy to have it out and ready, run around a corner and pop someone you barely even had the time to see (not even hitting him directly even), kill him, hide and reload and repeat. I have a feeling that those players are just ranking up their assault classes because they're useless with everything else.

Side topic, but somewhat related: I'd love for your "class" rank to displayed beside or as a part of your overall rank. A guy that level 20 with 20 levels in assault that's been noob tubing would then become obvious. I'm level 25, but have played all the classes evenly save medic = no nonsense from me, therefore my class rank if displayed would reflect lets say level 9-10 sniper, since i've played it a little more than a third of the time.
Old March 15, 2010, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
If you want a game that focuses more on skill then I recommend games like ARMA 2 because games within both the Battlefield and Call of Duty Series are still quake-style shooters above all else.

Until you introduce far more complex game variables and mechanics such as environmental physics and ordnance physics, you're going to have quake-style gameplay with noob-tubing, silly melee tactics, overpowered weapons, and a myriad of other items that make you go WTF?
I hate to break it to you but those things exist in real life, war isn't fair. While things like noob-tubes are a nuisance, games without FF are more so.
Old March 15, 2010, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Its also just too damn easy to have it out and ready, run around a corner and pop someone you barely even had the time to see (not even hitting him directly even), kill him, hide and reload and repeat. I have a feeling that those players are just ranking up their assault classes because they're useless with everything else.
It is a grenade after all, you don't need to hit the target to injure/kill it. It's like the saying "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades" (and tactical nukes ).
Old March 15, 2010, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm ******* sick of the nube tube and the Carl Gustav, i played a game today where the only ******* thing i died to was those 2 weapons, no god damn skill to use those things.

It's so annoying, you turn a corner and see an engi or an assualt with those weapons at the ready, and then you die and see 8 gold stars next to the gun, i ******* hate those people.
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old March 15, 2010, 12:55 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

@BrianHanna: Totally with you there, frustration and all. Let's try Chromey's server, maybe it'll actually have some admins around during gameplay to kick such obvious abusers.
Old March 15, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
@BrianHanna: Totally with you there, frustration and all. Let's try Chromey's server, maybe it'll actually have some admins around during gameplay to kick such obvious abusers.

it's not that i think people should never use it, but it's blatantly obvious what they are doing when you see an engi or assault just walking around with the launchers at the ready and the moment they see someone they get their instant kill.

I get it, they are useful weapons, good for taking out campers and vehicles etc, but don't try and justify the platinum star you have for them.
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old March 15, 2010, 01:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHanna View Post
I'm ******* sick of the nube tube and the Carl Gustav, i played a game today where the only ******* thing i died to was those 2 weapons, no god damn skill to use those things.

It's so annoying, you turn a corner and see an engi or an assualt with those weapons at the ready, and then you die and see 8 gold stars next to the gun, i ******* hate those people.
That's why I like to play casually... else than that I would go effin nuts over anyone playing like you described like I did before over hackers and people with virtually no other life than gaming.

Now I start the game and if I feel the slightest sign of frustration coming from me, I just close the game, take a book and keep reading :P

But yeah when I played for 3 days straight (and got sick of it), people seemed more and more attached to their damn GL and rocket
Old March 15, 2010, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
That's why I like to play casually... else than that I would go effin nuts over anyone playing like you described like I did before over hackers and people with virtually no other life than gaming.

Now I start the game and if I feel the slightest sign of frustration coming from me, I just close the game, take a book and keep reading :P

But yeah when I played for 3 days straight (and got sick of it), people seemed more and more attached to their damn GL and rocket
yea, im just gonna have to start doing that, because you just play worse when you get pissed off.

Old March 15, 2010, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepizza View Post
What do you guys think of the Carl Gustav? That gun is way overpowered as well. I sometimes use it when defending on Rush because it definitely has some stopping power with it.
M2CG has high rocket travel speed (hence less drop) and large splash dmg. However it's largely ineffective against armor compared to the RPG7 and AT4. Hence people tend to use it for clearing rooms/campers, or shoot helis.

It's fairly balanced and cannot be spammed without the help of assault classes. You can equally say the RPG7 and AT4 are overpowered as well..since they can one shot kill just as well, and AT4 is user-guided

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W