Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2010, 11:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Alright, so I thought I'd try out the noob tubes (i.e. the 40mm grenades) today, just to see why it's so addictive for certain players.

After playing a few rounds of squad tdm, I still do not find myself liking them. They're useful as crowd-control and clearing buildings, but I just don't get the same adrenaline rush when I use the 40mm in a face-to-face encounter with an enemy as when I use my gun. And I still do not understand why, when I fired one into an enemy not one feet in front of me, the grenade killed him as if I had shot him in the head with my M24 - no explosions to take me down with him. This is weird considering that a frag grenade would most certainly have killed me right there along with him. Needless to say, I will not be spamming these grenades in any future tdms.

On a side note, it was quite amusing to be called a cheater, simply because I was using the lightweight perk on my assault class and had managed to evade/escape from several near-death encounters.

Old March 26, 2010, 08:42 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.mgs4 View Post
Alright, so I thought I'd try out the noob tubes (i.e. the 40mm grenades) today, just to see why it's so addictive for certain players.

After playing a few rounds of squad tdm, I still do not find myself liking them. They're useful as crowd-control and clearing buildings, but I just don't get the same adrenaline rush when I use the 40mm in a face-to-face encounter with an enemy as when I use my gun. And I still do not understand why, when I fired one into an enemy not one feet in front of me, the grenade killed him as if I had shot him in the head with my M24 - no explosions to take me down with him. This is weird considering that a frag grenade would most certainly have killed me right there along with him. Needless to say, I will not be spamming these grenades in any future tdms.

On a side note, it was quite amusing to be called a cheater, simply because I was using the lightweight perk on my assault class and had managed to evade/escape from several near-death encounters.
There is your explanation, the nade needs a minimum distance to arm itself, anything less than this distance you effectively have a 40 mm slug. If you hit a guy with a dead on shot it will still kill him, the same goes for smoke nades too.
Old March 26, 2010, 08:44 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmbo View Post
There is your explanation, the nade needs a minimum distance to arm itself, anything less than this distance you effectively have a 40 mm slug. If you hit a guy with a dead on shot it will still kill him, the same goes for smoke nades too.
BUT... this makes the 40mm shotgun useless? The 40mm noob tube should only work at range, the shotgun should only work up close, Final. As it is right now I use the 40mm shotgun sometimes, because I can't spam it or abuse it in every situation ... unlike some folks haha
Old March 26, 2010, 09:01 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
BUT... this makes the 40mm shotgun useless? The 40mm noob tube should only work at range, the shotgun should only work up close, Final. As it is right now I use the 40mm shotgun sometimes, because I can't spam it or abuse it in every situation ... unlike some folks haha
Well useless no. The shotgun still has a buckshot spray pattern so you don't need to be dead on to get the kill- so its still a better weapon in close.

I don't have a problem with the nade killing at close range because in reality if a 40mm slug hits you, you are going to die.
Old March 26, 2010, 09:29 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

But again, this makes it too easy to replace the 40mm shotgun... Why use the shotgun when the noob tube does its job and is faster and far more lame.