Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2010, 10:15 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
isn't the C&C4 DRM essentially the same as what Ubisoft is doing? It certainly sounds similar.
Yes, it is pretty much the same thing. Though it does make slightly more sense in the context EA is using it in.
Old March 22, 2010, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Yes, it is pretty much the same thing. Though it does make slightly more sense in the context EA is using it in.
In what way is that? My understanding is EA simply sidestepped the whole "We are using overlord DRM" spin and simply state that you need a 24/7 connection for the game.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 22, 2010, 12:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
In what way is that? My understanding is EA simply sidestepped the whole "We are using overlord DRM" spin and simply state that you need a 24/7 connection for the game.
C&C4 uses a persistent points system that gives you points for everything you do in single and multi-player, and all accounts are hosted on their servers so you have to be connected to earn experience. That's why it 'sort of' makes sense, although I still very much dislike the idea. To be honest, I hate the whole "you need XP to unlock units and stuff" gameplay mechanic anyway; I think they should have stuck with the tech tree system.
Old March 22, 2010, 12:48 PM
Allstar

I haven't downloaded a game in years! and I don't plan to. I like to support the PC gaming format for the few games I still buy but DRM is an absurd idea that I hope will meet it's end.

CHEERS
Old March 22, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
C&C4 uses a persistent points system that gives you points for everything you do in single and multi-player, and all accounts are hosted on their servers so you have to be connected to earn experience. That's why it 'sort of' makes sense, although I still very much dislike the idea. To be honest, I hate the whole "you need XP to unlock units and stuff" gameplay mechanic anyway; I think they should have stuck with the tech tree system.
Ah ok, thanks for that. C&C 4 isn't really something on my radar in any case but good to know. I can agree with you, that kind of a mechanic can feel like an artificial way to get people to log more hours in the game. I think it worked alright in the DoW2 SP. That wasn't one of the flaws that kept me from playing it. It was the overall gameplay that just turned into a grind. I got bored. :\

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 22, 2010, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

I am glad I skipped C&C4, they changed it way too much.
Old March 25, 2010, 05:12 AM
Rookie

As long as the content of the game resides on one's computer I see this as an NP complete problem.
You can't control someone through software when that person has a lower-level access to his machine (namely OS, hardware etc.).
Either hypervisor it (and it'll last a couple of years) or just forget about it.
Old March 25, 2010, 04:45 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouaibe View Post
As long as the content of the game resides on one's computer I see this as an NP complete problem.
Saved games are stored on Ubisoft's servers.