Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2010, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Local Network gaming problems

Hi, I am haivng some problems starting a game with my cousin who happens to be sitting right next to me while I have managed to start games with people over in Europe and I don't know where without problems.

The game is Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East (for those interested), it is played throughout Ubisoft's crappy servers. Basicly we are both connected to the same router via Ethernet cable, so unless I am wrong, everything should work right there. However, it did not. So we tried running it with Hamachi on which is what I was using to play against strangers. Basicly I am unable to connect to the game with him. When I tried to ping him through Hamachi it timed out.

We are both using Win7, is there any other information I should give ?
Other than I feel I am about to be violent.

*** Updates on the situation for those reading this for the first time ***

I have managed to start a multiplayer game when using my computer and my father's computer which both are on the same network. Mine is wired to the router and his is wirelessly connected. Doing so, I have used my steam account as well as my cousin's account.

I have also tried to do it with my cousin's computer and my father's, with the same problems. This leads me to believe the problem lies between the router and my cousin's computer, but I am unable to pin point anything wrong. I have done his Win7 install without changing much, like I did for my built and my father's built.

Last edited by Kilauea; February 26, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old February 20, 2010, 12:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Is the game designed to be able to play head-to-head over a local area network (doesn't need an internet connection)? If not, then the problem more than likely is with the server not allowing two instances of the game to be run from the same IP. Your modem only has one external address even though the router can discriminate between PCs connected on your internal network.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 20, 2010, 12:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How would I get to know that ? And why in the bloody hell would they want to do that ?
Old February 20, 2010, 01:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

not want to, more of a difficulty in doing so. I had the same problem when I was trying to play WoW with my friend on my laptop on the same network. one of us could connect just fine but as soon as the other connected we would both start lagging out and getting disconnected from the server.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old February 20, 2010, 03:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
not want to, more of a difficulty in doing so. I had the same problem when I was trying to play WoW with my friend on my laptop on the same network. one of us could connect just fine but as soon as the other connected we would both start lagging out and getting disconnected from the server.
What was your solution to it ?
Old February 20, 2010, 03:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

never actually found one, it is a matter of the router getting confused and the servers on the other end getting confused as well so it all slows down and you get booted or get some horrendous lag. my suggestion would be to find an open wireless network in range and use that.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old February 20, 2010, 07:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

For WoW I find this pretty weird... we had at more then 1 occasion 10 people at a LAN party playing WoW all on the same said. Never had lag issues.
Old February 20, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know it can be played over the same network because someone else already experienced it. I asked on a forum for this game regarding the problem and still no answer.
Old February 20, 2010, 11:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

I've never played this but here's my 2 cents. You probably need ports opened in your router to make him accessible via Hamachi. If it's just the 2 of you playing can you connect to each other locally? Does this same issue happen when he's not connected to the same router? I don't know if he lives there or not.

Old February 20, 2010, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hamachi is a program to simulate a network. We have never played when we were not conntected to the same router, but others said it worked. I have also tried without hamachi, because we are on the same network afterall, but its no go.