Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2007, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default the orange box.

If you don't have it then buy it and beat it.

Also portals has the best ending to a game ever!

I could provide a youtube link but you should beat the game to get that very rewarding ending.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 13, 2007, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
If you don't have it then buy it and beat it.

Also portals has the best ending to a game ever!

I could provide a youtube link but you should beat the game to get that very rewarding ending.
Ok, now im getting so mad! I need to finish up my rig so i can fire those great games!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old October 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I was thinking of buying that. I'll buy it when the Canadian dollar rises to 115 cents USD.

Oh, and Team Fortress Classic was the first-ever game I played on the GoldSrc engine. It was on Real.com as a 131MB unlimited demo in 1999. I played it on a Pentium Pro 133MHz :)

Last edited by Amon; October 13, 2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old January 2, 2008, 09:18 AM
Top Prospect

OK sorry for old thread bump but since I was going to post something like this I ended up posting here so I don't just add more to the list.

I have not beat portals since when I saw myself getting to the end within one-two hours of having just downloaded the game off steam I went and started to play TF2.

The robot voice in portals is really freaky. There were a few things that "she" said that I really didn't get that maybe some of you can answer. The first thing was. "Remember, the Aperture Science ‘Bring Your Daughter to Work Day’ is the perfect time to have her tested." and the other one was "Did you know you can donate one or all of your vital organs to the Aperture Science Self Esteem Fund for Girls? It’s true!"

Whats with these girl jokes or young girl jokes? I know the player is a woman but why do they keep talking about girls/Daughter?
Old January 2, 2008, 10:27 AM
MVP
F@H

Orange Box is so balls and Portal was quite fun with a classic the ending.

It is definitely a recommended game to get
Old January 2, 2008, 11:06 AM
Rookie

The Orange Box kicks total ass. It's a definite no-brainer, a must buy. Portal was the biggest surprise of the bunch. It's become an instant classic.

As for the lines spoken by GLaDOS: they're all meant as dark, insulting humor against your character. The computer is trying to mock and discourage you, and make you give up. Those lines you mentioned were thinly disguised insults against your female character.

Of course, they're also supposed to make you laugh. Which most of GLaDOS' dialogue certainly does.
Old January 2, 2008, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wonder if more developers will lean toward collections of mini titles after this- almost too expensive nowadays to develop full features
Old January 2, 2008, 12:35 PM
Top Prospect

I like the part of Android Hell. Does it mean that she is an android or shes just saying that to mock her again, and if there is an android hell does that mean there is a android heaven

Also I found that this game put a big long on my system even more than TF2 I can run that game with max everything, but with portals I have to set the ports too two portals lower AA and AF too x2 and texture on high.

Can someone tell me why when I toggle a spot in the game that gives me 25 FPS but when I turn off vsync I can get 10-20 FPS more. shouldn't it not matter how graphic intensive a game is?

Its the only feature in the game that will bump up my FPS by alot lowering the res to 1280x1024 as to 1680x1050 will give me like 2-3 FPS lowering the shader to low will make 0-1 of a difference, texture quality from med to very high 0-1. so on...

I'm running 2GB of ram
e6600 not overclocked (was having problems with a game I installed which I thought it had to do with my overclock)
X1950XT not overclocked.
Old January 2, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Heh I own most of the Half Life games including Orange Box, CoD4, Bioshock, F.E.A.R and a few others and guess whats been eating my time... WoW ... it actually keeps me wanting to play.

But yes Portal is fun!
Old January 2, 2008, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxTux View Post

Can someone tell me why when I toggle a spot in the game that gives me 25 FPS but when I turn off vsync I can get 10-20 FPS more. shouldn't it not matter how graphic intensive a game is?
Here ya go.

Notes from the Lab: Tip of the Week

Oh BTW the OB is awesome. I loved Ep2 played it twice so far, playing a third timer through with the commentary on. The hunters were a lot of fun and the strider level drove me nuts :P The outdoor environments were a nice change and I am looking forward to Ep3!!! Portal of course is great and even a mostly no MP guy like me got into TF2. I love the HL series. Best story driven shooter ever IMHO. Anyone looking forward to the Black Mesa Mod? I cannot wait, Hurry Up!!!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE

Last edited by Thund3rball; January 2, 2008 at 07:23 PM.