Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2008, 09:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Portal's my fave single player game of 2007 alongside Bioshock :D

*Spoiler in Video* YouTube - Portal - "Still Alive" Credits Song Ending credits song is soo good.

I wanted one of those plush companion cubes but they're sold out noo

WTB Episode 3 and dundundun HL3
Antec NeoPower Blue 650W, Antec 900

HTPC: X2 64 5000+ Black @3.3ghz (AC 64 Pro)
A-Data DDR 800 2 x 1gb, Radeon 2600 Pro HDMI
Asus M2N-E, Antec Sonata, 380W TruePower

Old January 2, 2008, 11:03 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Here ya go.

Notes from the Lab: Tip of the Week

Oh BTW the OB is awesome. I loved Ep2 played it twice so far, playing a third timer through with the commentary on. The hunters were a lot of fun and the strider level drove me nuts :P The outdoor environments were a nice change and I am looking forward to Ep3!!! Portal of course is great and even a mostly no MP guy like me got into TF2. I love the HL series. Best story driven shooter ever IMHO. Anyone looking forward to the Black Mesa Mod? I cannot wait, Hurry Up!!!
So how do I stop my monitor from missing scan line? Would it help if I had a better video card? Could I bump my Hz to 75Hz so if I do miss a cycle it will be 37 and not 30, I heard bumping the Hz on a LCD could burn the monitor
Old January 3, 2008, 02:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxTux View Post
So how do I stop my monitor from missing scan line? Would it help if I had a better video card? Could I bump my Hz to 75Hz so if I do miss a cycle it will be 37 and not 30, I heard bumping the Hz on a LCD could burn the monitor
Hz does not work on a LCD only a CRT and what do you mean by scanline?

Just turn on vsync and have fun.
Old January 3, 2008, 07:46 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Hz does not work on a LCD only a CRT and what do you mean by scanline?

Just turn on vsync and have fun.

Thunderballs link say that the FPS drops in half if the monitor misses a scanline so what is making the monitor miss scanlines, and why is it only when I toggle a certain spots of the game. Shouldn't it not matter where I'm viewing? Does it have to do with the amount/type of colour being displayed?

Thunder's Link
Old January 3, 2008, 09:06 AM
Rookie

Like enaberif said, VSync isn't nearly as relevant if you have an LCD monitor. The refresh rate (Hz) can't go anywhere near as high as CRT monitors.

Turn on VSync if you don't want tearing, turn it off for a likely very small FPS boost on an LCD monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTO View Post
Portal's my fave single player game of 2007 alongside Bioshock :D
Portal is probably my favorite too, but I haven't played all that many games lately. So maybe I'm missing out on something else that's really good. But Bioshock was a huge disappointment to me.
Quote:
WTB Episode 3 and dundundun HL3
Man, I can't wait for Ep 3. The ending really makes you want to see more. And yeah, I heard that three more episodes are planned for a total of 6. But the next three will take the story in a completely different direction, apparently.

Last edited by redrain85; January 3, 2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old January 3, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxTux View Post
A better video card would probably help this as I think that is what causes the missed line in the first place. That should give you higher FPS in general so you will have less chance to get less than 37 FPS. And you cannot bump the Hz any higher than 60Hz (on most LCD monitors currently). They are only capable of refreshing at that frequency and that's it. 120Hz LCD TV panels are starting to come out now but it is still quite new and I think those TVs use software to compensate for some odd motion distortion that can happen with 120Hz on LCDs. They have them at Future Shop if you want to check them out.

I see the others are confused with your question so just for the record guys, the OP is enabling vsync... he wants to know why his FPS can drop 10-20 FPS in some points of a game when it is enabled and how to avoid the loss of FPS with it enabled. Cheers ;)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 3, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
A better video card would probably help this as I think that is what causes the missed line in the first place. That should give you higher FPS in general so you will have less chance to get less than 37 FPS. And you cannot bump the Hz any higher than 60Hz (on most LCD monitors currently). They are only capable of refreshing at that frequency and that's it. 120Hz LCD TV panels are starting to come out now but it is still quite new and I think those TVs use software to compensate for some odd motion distortion that can happen with 120Hz on LCDs. They have them at Future Shop if you want to check them out.

I see the others are confused with your question so just for the record guys, the OP is enabling vsync... he wants to know why his FPS can drop 10-20 FPS in some points of a game when it is enabled and how to avoid the loss of FPS with it enabled. Cheers ;)
My Samsung 19" does 72hz :P And yes it does make a difference with vsync turned on.. it'll go from 60 to 70 fps :P
Old January 3, 2008, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
My Samsung 19" does 72hz :P And yes it does make a difference with vsync turned on.. it'll go from 60 to 70 fps :P
As I said most current LCDs are 60Hz. What SS model are you using?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 3, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
As I said most current LCDs are 60Hz. What SS model are you using?
931bf
SAMSUNG's Digital World - Monitor | 931BF
Old January 3, 2008, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Yes I think it is mostly with some 1280x1024 res LCDs that do 72Hz or 75Hz. I am not 100% on this but it is something I noticed.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE