Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Alan Wake PC officially cancelled

Quote:
Microsoft claims that the PC version has been cancelled because the PC platform is "too intimate"
From bit-tech.

Consoles. The bane of PC gaming.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; February 12, 2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old February 12, 2010, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Whatever that game will suck hard anyways. Why do you think its taking so long to develop? Cause it sucks so bad they're trying to make it better. His weapon is.... a flashlight! Oooooo
Old February 12, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya this game doesn't look that good any more. At first it did but not now.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 12, 2010, 05:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

"too intimate", as in no one is actually going to get intimate with it due to quickly turning it off.

No, I don't know anything about this game but their excuse is just terrible.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:29 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It's cancelled because they know PC gamers won't stand for a shitty game.
Old February 12, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well, looks like this is gonna be a best seller. In the bargain bin at Wal-Mart.

Good observation Headshot. I forgot that the main "weapon" was going to be a flashlight. How, um...exciting.
Old February 13, 2010, 09:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

lol this was supposed released near the begining of the 360, but now it may go the way of duke, well it has for the PC anyway.
Old February 13, 2010, 03:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Way to go, Microsoft.
Old February 13, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There are so many good games out and coming out that I totally don't care. MS thinks this is their Heavy Rain for 360, lol.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 13, 2010, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well, it's not this game that bugs me. Rather that precedents are being set. And PC gaming with regard to IQ is stunted or game play being dumbed down due to poor ports that has me worried. ME and ME2 are good examples of decent, albeit not perfect ports. But even they suffer greatly in the graphics department.

Admittedly this has been going on for years. But it finally seems that PC gamers are fast approaching equilibrium. Wasting their time, money and efforts in the vain hope that devs move from deferred lighting methods, HDR glossy low res textures to hide or cheat people into thinking these things are a 'good thing' (TM).

I may be wrong (hopefully) but It will be interesting to see where all of this goes upon release of the next gen consoles. Oh, wait. Did I just infer that PC gaming quality is going to be judged by the outcome of a lesser platform? Why yes, yes I did.

Regrettably, most people (casual gamers) want the playing field leveled (consoles) and ignore the fact that PC games are scalable. And when devs create high quality games like Crysis the tech will trickle down to the lower specs creating a game that is far and away better in the long run that it would have been otherwise.

When I bought Crysis (2007) I had a X1950 Pro and had to turn down the settings to be able to play it. I was however able to play it. Then I bought an HD4890 which enabled me to almost max the settings and now I have an HD5870 and it plays great maxed!

Conversely, Everyone and their dog can play ME2 on max. Not that that's a bad thing per se. But just think of how the game could have looked if it weren't held back by consoleitis. Think, if ME2 were like Crysis. If you didn't have the hardware to ply it at it's highest settings you would in the future after an upgrade or two and the IQ boost would be replay value as well.

Mass Effect 2 kicks ass as a game in general imo. iirc one site gave the game 10/10 I think or 9.5/10 for visuals. That however is insulting to a PC gamer like myself. I know better. But all the 14 year old console kiddies do not.

Note to console fan boy's: Image quality does not translate directly to poor game play. You can (should) have both.

I'm sorry for the rant guy's. This has been a frustrating thing for me for a long time now. I see the writing on the wall and we are going backward rather than forward.