Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2010, 10:46 AM
Rookie

Default Where for art thou PC Games?

Hi all

I remember a time when you could walk into any game retail store and the first thing you would see were the rows and rows of PC games, hundreds of titles just waiting to be bought and brought home like one buying a puppy through the window of a pet store. Console games where relegated to the darkened corners of the store, like that cousin that no one wants to talk about let acknowledge is there.

Now, walking into my local game retailer, and it is like stepping into an alternate reality, one in which I can't wake up from nor escape. Rows and rows of console games line the walls, like some alien virus overtaking it's host. PC games, if to found at all, are hidden away under the counter, like adult movies in a movie store.

I can only hope that there will come a time when, both pc and console games, can share the spotlight and together push the envelope of gaming, in both it's forms, forward.

Thanks!
Old January 24, 2010, 10:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I almost never buy retail copies of PC games anymore. If there's a digital version I'll go for it. No need to worry about holding onto discs or anything. I think this is the way a lot of PC gamers are going. Less people buy retail so the retail stores don't stock them.
Plus the obvious reason that more people play consoles these days.
Old January 24, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

i know eh. up untill earlier the past summer even the ebgames here had a whole wall for pc games then when l4d2 came out and i went up to get it. i walked in went to the pc wall and it was filled with wii games. i walked around the store and finally found a little rack at the back of the store with pc games. with no big name titles for that i had to ask at the counter.beleive it or not walmart here prolly got the best display of pc games lol
Old January 24, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Retail is in fact one of the reasons PC games get sh1t on in the industry. But that's business. Digital distribution is where it's at now. I think I have come to terms with that. Especially since you can get new releases for about 1/2 the cost of the console version, in some cases.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 24, 2010, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Steam.

The 4 pack deals are awesome!!!

-Plato
Old January 24, 2010, 11:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

Someone doesn't know what "where for art thou" means...

= "why are you"

Just so you know.

Old January 24, 2010, 11:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, steam is where it's at. It's like complaining that you can't find CD's anymore, it's cause it's all gone digital baby :) steam is the itunes of PC games and it's eaten the competition away.

I have 36 games on steam, and never buy games from stores anymore unless they are on sale or I can't find them on steam.
Old January 24, 2010, 12:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would imagine with pirating and the sort, most PC game manufacturers are pulling the physical boxes from stores and opt'ing for the digital download market.

It also comes down to demand - I know i'd rather download a game than drive to a store to purchase a box and dvd. Heck, even environmentally it makes more sense to just download it.

I think most game manufacturers have given up on PC games, and go for console games - where pirating has become more troublesome for users.. seems the xbox and such are still devoting a lot of time to stop game pirating on their systems.. where PC games (single player) are just open for anyone.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old January 24, 2010, 01:29 PM
Allstar

87 games and Counting on Steam.

I havent bought a Hard copy of a game since... 2000 i think.
Old January 24, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I only buy games in stores. I like having a physical copy and I also usually buy "bargain bin" $5 games or used games. Steam sales cannot match $5 bins full of good (yet slightly old games, eg. mirrors edge) games that are always there and you don't need a credit card for. Plus it's more instant. No DL'ing.