Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2010, 10:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Would this work ???

If I was to put 2x GTX 260 Core 216 on a MSI 790FX-GD70 board to fold, could I still game without any hickups or problems?
Old January 12, 2010, 10:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

If you paused F@H while gaming, yes.
Old January 12, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
If you paused F@H while gaming, yes.
Excellent. Maybe I should just Pm you my questions. lol !!!
Old January 13, 2010, 09:46 AM
MVP

I fold on my 8800GT and just pause it when im doing anything semi graphics intensive...there used to be some games I could play without even pausing it with little difference, but then I got my new monitor, and that went out the window
Old January 13, 2010, 11:52 AM
MVP

+1, I did the same thing before I got a 5770.

Side-question; is there an ATI folding client? I'd love to get back to folding, but to my knowledge I can't on a 5770.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
If I was to put 2x GTX 260 Core 216 on a MSI 790FX-GD70 board to fold, could I still game without any hickups or problems?
If you cpu fold as well i've found the GTX260s in sli will cause some system lag when just using it for say web browsing or basic programs. To cut down on this lag i will fold non-sli and if i am playing a game that i want to run at full gpu specs i will close vmware (safety reason otherwise it will get killed closed), turn off/pause folding, enable sli,reopen vmware so the cpu can fold when i'm gaming, game, done gaming close vwmare, disable sli, turn on all folding (restart vmware).
Old January 13, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
If you cpu fold as well i've found the GTX260s in sli will cause some system lag when just using it for say web browsing or basic programs. To cut down on this lag i will fold non-sli and if i am playing a game that i want to run at full gpu specs i will close vmware (safety reason otherwise it will get killed closed), turn off/pause folding, enable sli,reopen vmware so the cpu can fold when i'm gaming, game, done gaming close vwmare, disable sli, turn on all folding (restart vmware).
I can't SLI on my board. So is it a problem to play games with 2x GTX 260s non SLI?
Old January 13, 2010, 12:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Your games will only run on the 1st Nvidia GPU on a non-SLI board. I have 2 GTX285's. For games that aren't heavily graphics demanding, I disable SLI, leave the 2nd card folding, and play on the 1st card.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Your games will only run on the 1st Nvidia GPU on a non-SLI board. I have 2 GTX285's. For games that aren't heavily graphics demanding, I disable SLI, leave the 2nd card folding, and play on the 1st card.
I find the cpu folds better (lower tpf on big adv wus) with sli disabled compared to being enabled. But yeah i will still fold on 1 gpu in non-sli if the game doesnt need it
Old January 13, 2010, 12:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I find the cpu folds better (lower tpf on big adv wus) with sli disabled compared to being enabled. But yeah i will still fold on 1 gpu in non-sli if the game doesnt need it
I should say that I usually have SLI disabled, and only enable it for certain games. Heck, for Torchlight I don't even stop the VM. It's not many games I feel I need the 2nd 285 on, and I never would have bought a 2nd one for myself. Thanks for the folding contests HWC!