Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default AR.Drone - Augmented Reality Flying Machine!

If you have no idea what Augmented Reality gaming is, it's sort of an iPhone phenomenon that is likely already crossing platforms. Basically you view real world visuals with overlaid objects and/or environments or enhanced elements of the real world environment on your screen and play a game using your iPhone to control your character in this augmented environment. There are some examples floating around the web.

At CES the AR.Drone was demonstrated and it looks even cooler! You fly a real device (the AR.Drone) using your iPhone for controls, in the real world. The Drone has cameras on it so you can see where it is going on your iPhone screen. In other words you don't really have to keep line of sight to fly. On top of that you can add virtual flying enemies that will appear on your iPhone screen that you can dog fight with, with your real world Drone.

Obviously a bit niche and likely pricey but just another way tech is blurring the lines between gaming and reality. Because... reality is way sweeter when augmented! :)

Have iPhone will fly: hands on with the AR.Drone

YouTube - Parrot AR.Drone : Flight Demo (HD version)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 12, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

very cool thanks but. it's sort of an iPhone phenomenon. where did you get that this was pitched years ago by intel the iphone is just where it happens to be coming to market first.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well that's what I meant about the iPhone. Until now there wasn't any real market for it. But the iPhone has opened the doors to wide audiences of potential adopters since "everybody" has one. ;)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 13, 2010, 09:35 AM
Allstar

Too good to be true. Won't happen. Yet.

Old August 15, 2011, 08:22 PM

OMG it's here :P

Parrot Inc Store @ NCIX.com - Top Gadgets & Toys

And the obligatory link to my video of it :)

Parrot AR.Drone iPad Controlled Remote Control Aircraft Test Flight Demo Linus Tech Tips - YouTube

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old August 15, 2011, 08:58 PM
Banned
F@H

480p booooo :p
Old August 15, 2011, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Does one have to use an iphone/ipad for this? I have a joystick and throttle(and no iCrap) that I would very much prefer to use with my windows running notebook.
Old August 15, 2011, 10:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Me Want......Me gonna Get!!!
Old August 16, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Does one have to use an iphone/ipad for this? I have a joystick and throttle(and no iCrap) that I would very much prefer to use with my windows running notebook.
Supposedly there's a huge developer community for this thing. I know nothing about it though...