Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2010, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya tessellation is something I can hardly wait for. Also you should get more performance because with the 300 series cards will finally support DX10.1 and DX11 and 10.1 is a massive performance boost over regular DX10.0

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 11, 2010, 06:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
and 10.1 is a massive performance boost over regular DX10.0
It's hardly massive. It gives some decent performance boosts when using a handful of graphical features that actually benefit from DX10.1, but it's only supported by a small number of games and it's only useful in a small number of situations.
Old January 12, 2010, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

I know the tech in DX11, the teselation and whatnot, I am wondering if it offers performance improvements or visual improvements in reality. As far as I can tell its suppose to do both but I havent read anything since before it came out.

And DX10.1 did offer some nice performance increases, it was just never used by game developers en mass.
Old January 12, 2010, 03:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Whats the point?

Are there ANY worthwhile titles yet?

NO.
This. Well there is Dirt 2, but that looks fine in DX10 or even DX9, you won't see much of a difference.

DX11 hasn't made a name for itself, none of the major games are coming out until later this year or 2011. So Nvidia isn't really missing out on anything yet.
Old January 12, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
It's hardly massive. It gives some decent performance boosts when using a handful of graphical features that actually benefit from DX10.1, but it's only supported by a small number of games and it's only useful in a small number of situations.
It may not be supported in many games but the games that it is supported it is a very high FPS jump. Look at every HAWX benchmark and you will see a very massive jump for basically free.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 12, 2010, 08:06 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
I know the tech in DX11, the teselation and whatnot, I am wondering if it offers performance improvements or visual improvements in reality. As far as I can tell its suppose to do both but I havent read anything since before it came out.
Performance improvements? No. Tessellation requires the GPU to render significantly more geometry. However it can provide some significant IQ improvements depending on the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
It may not be supported in many games but the games that it is supported it is a very high FPS jump. Look at every HAWX benchmark and you will see a very massive jump for basically free.
I've played HAWX both ways. With or without DX10.1, it doesn't take much to run.
Old January 12, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The only way you'll see performance improvement is if the game is coded from the ground up in DX11. DX11 ports from DX9 will not see too much of a performance increase at all. Battleforge saw a pretty good improvement.

Windows 7 : ATI DX10 V DX11 - BattleForge (DirectX 10.1 vs. DirectX 11) - HardwareHeaven.com
Old January 13, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

see thats one thing I never understood about DX10. Everyone harped on about how useless it was but I do not believe we have one game actually coded for DX10, they are all ported from dx9 so even if dx10 was amazing if coded natively we will never know.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
see thats one thing I never understood about DX10. Everyone harped on about how useless it was but I do not believe we have one game actually coded for DX10, they are all ported from dx9 so even if dx10 was amazing if coded natively we will never know.
Exactly. This is how PC games are made. Consoles first (Xbox360 is DX9), then PCs. PC games get bloated when all they do is add libraries of DX10/11 into DX9 games, and don't produce enough eye candy to tell the difference. Can anyone really see the difference of Dirt 2 DX9 vs. DX11? Not when I'm actually playing the game...
Old January 13, 2010, 12:50 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You will hear more about NVIDIA's DX11 architecture within the next week or so.

As for Battleforge, I totally hate that example. It features NONE of DX11's features but rather wraps the DX10 code path with some DX11 instructions to speed up rendering. That's it. The majority of DX11 features can and will kill, castrate and rape performance on even high end hardware.