Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Supereme Commander 2 will not use GPGnet

It will use a little known program called steam.

Personally, I think this is bad move overall, poorer mod and community sides to the software, GPGnet was never flawless, it had some huge glaring flaws in fact but it was alright. I think steam is fine for games like CSS, TF2 and L4D but for SupCom I have to wonder how its going to work exactly.
Old January 7, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hm, well without knowing much I'd have to say this is actually good imo. Steam is huge and always growing. One of the biggest gripes people have with Steam is the additional 3rd party crap that publishers stuff into a steam game when Steam already has all the functionality built right in. Imagine RA3 on steam without EA's limp-a-long MP system or DoW 2 without GFWL. Or how about DRM like Bioshock without SecuROM etc... If more publishers just let games use Steam as their DRM and online community the interwebz would be a happier place imo.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 7, 2010, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'll agree that steam is quite good, I just dont see how many of the features of GPGnet can be replaced. Tournaments, mod vault, ladders. That sort of thing.
Old January 7, 2010, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
I'll agree that steam is quite good, I just dont see how many of the features of GPGnet can be replaced. Tournaments, mod vault, ladders. That sort of thing.
That can all be done on steam.

Mods work great on steam as well. You just create a short cut to the mod or some other technique to get it to work

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 10, 2010, 05:50 PM
Rookie

Default YES

Im glad they are replacing that junkie lobby system that was the most annoying game finding program I have ever used glad they are using a superior system like steam to handle matchmaking, the poor handling of the MP killed the game for me