Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2010, 07:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagon View Post
Should I get this for the 360 or PC?

Saved games from ME1 is not applicable since my first 360 was stolen with all my saved games on it.
I played ME1 on both the 360 and the PC and i found i liked the controls, load times, etc better on the PC. So i went with ME2 on the PC and i've been rather enjoying it (controls, load times, etc) and would recommend going the same route.

Funny thing i found: Since my EA account is tied to my 360 and pc account it seems the pre-order stuff unlocked on both pc and 360 for me.
Old January 29, 2010, 08:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post

Funny thing i found: Since my EA account is tied to my 360 and pc account it seems the pre-order stuff unlocked on both pc and 360 for me.
I found the whole DLC process counter-intuitive thru Bioware/EA to get things synced with registering access codes and the 360. Took an hour of fumbling around ensuring I got everything from my pre-order bonus to the CE content.

I haven't been too happy lately with the way DLC works with this and the Fallout 3 stuff.

Anyway, still need to finish ME before starting ME2.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old January 29, 2010, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamundaman View Post
Wonderful game...

Graphics are crap though.

Identical to ME1.

As primarily a PC gamer, if games 2 years after crysis don't looke at least as good if not marginally better than it, something is rotten.

i actually love the graphics.

also, your asking all games coming out now to at least look like crysis?

what the hell is wrong with you.
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old January 29, 2010, 11:15 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:

Saved games from ME1 is not applicable since my first 360 was stolen with all my saved games on it.

I played it about 10 hours on PC then bought it for Xbox, I prefer it on Xbox graphics aren't much different. FTR I think the graphics are great. It plays perfectly on my older PC as well (8800GT).
Old January 29, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

This is actually a really good question, as most people will just say PC right away.

I played ME1 on the 360. Granted, I did play it before the PC version was even released. Having said that, I really enjoyed it on the 360, and I actually prefer many of the console variants compared to their PC counterparts. Although, having a 58" plasma with a full 5.1 system might have something to do with it. I think it's because the immersion factor is higher for me that way, even if the graphics are worse on the 360, especially when all that aliasing is blown up in your face on a giant HDTV. Also, my couch ******* rocks, and I'd rather sprawl out on that thing for a few hours than sit in a chair, no matter how comfy, for the same amount of time.

Anyways, it's time to decide by 5:00 tonight because I just finished Battlefield: Bad Company for the first time and I decided Mass Effect 2 would be my next game, no ifs ands or buts about it! A full weekend of Mass Effect 2 and 3rd year physics! How fitting!

Last edited by YukonTrooper; January 29, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old January 31, 2010, 04:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Meh, better than ME1 but short overall. Each story mission is quite short, and N7 missions are also extremely short for the most part, and there are only 15 or so of the N7 missions.

While ME2 is richer than ME1 it is dilluted heavily by scanning and by being spread out over the 11 characters (the 11th isnt even all that well intergrated). From what I can tell you really do not need all characters even, I had no problem surviving with everyone (which I thought was suppose to be a challenge...)

And ME1 decisions have a little impact but nothing major, Krogans hate/love you depending on one decision but thats the only one I have really discovered, you get a lot of emails but nothing story related..
Old February 1, 2010, 07:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am willing to bet the decisions you make in ME2 will have a greater effect in ME3 than ME1 did on ME2.

That's a lot of "ME"

Just my opinion.

Really liked the game. I didn't find it too short, but would have preferred another 12 hours or so tacked onto the main storyline.

This is one of the few games that rivals Deus Ex for me though. That's a pretty big accomplishment in my books.

Last edited by Fracture; February 1, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old February 1, 2010, 08:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracture View Post
Really liked the game. I didn't find it too short, but would have preferred another 12 hours or so tacked onto the main storyline.
+1

Definitely. I was a little pissed when I had to go through Omega 4 already... I was hoping for more exploration, more storyline, more side quests, something...
Old February 1, 2010, 08:51 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHanna View Post
i actually love the graphics.

also, your asking all games coming out now to at least look like crysis?

what the hell is wrong with you.

I'm a graphics whore.

Let's put things into perspective: in 1998 the most graphically revolutionary game of its time came out, Unreal. This is June 1998. By June 200 we had games such as Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Deus Ex (using unreal's engine), and Quake 3 Arena. Many of these games looked better than Unreal.

So why is it that 2 years after Crysis, we don't have a single game (bar Warhead), not 1 game, that looks marginally better, or even as good as? Come on, something is rotten. I'm sure Crytek is crying (no pun intended) to have some companies license its brilliant engine.

Other than that, I love ME2, great game so far. The side quests are more concise, no more lunar buggies. Combat is more refined. Just that damn game engine…its showing some major gray hairs.
Old February 1, 2010, 08:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Meh, better than ME1 but short overall. Each story mission is quite short, and N7 missions are also extremely short for the most part, and there are only 15 or so of the N7 missions.

While ME2 is richer than ME1 it is dilluted heavily by scanning and by being spread out over the 11 characters (the 11th isnt even all that well intergrated). From what I can tell you really do not need all characters even, I had no problem surviving with everyone (which I thought was suppose to be a challenge...)

And ME1 decisions have a little impact but nothing major, Krogans hate/love you depending on one decision but thats the only one I have really discovered, you get a lot of emails but nothing story related..
Short? Took me 57 hours to finish it (or so the game play timer thing in my last save says). Granted, I pretty much went and mined every planet and did absolutely everything. All said and done, I feel like ME1 had more exploring and less scanning planets for hours on end. The actually sidequests did seem a little lacking compared to the first game though.
As for the 11th character not being integrated, he was DLC, remember?
As for the emails, you should read them a little more thoroughly. They really help flesh out the story, and more importantly, serve to tell stuff about the ME1, I assume for new players who don't know the story.
I was hoping for my decisions in ME1 to make a huge difference, but as a friend pointed out, what I wanted sounded like I was asking for two games in one. It still didn't really feel like my choices mattered a whole lot. There was nothing huge and story changing to them.